2011 NEC Switch with pass through conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading the 2011 NEC, 312.8. It list the switch (along with overcurrent devices) enclosure as being required to have warning labels when there are feed-through conductors.

I understand the intent, because I have seen panels that have this. But a guy asked a good question. Do simple snap switch boxes have to have this label as well? It's rare I would feed-through a switch box but sometimes its quicker and easier to do this. So if one does this is it required to have the label to tell where the closest disconnect is?

If you followed the 'letter' of the code, then why aren't receptacle boxes required for it too? I don't think the CMP intended for that to be used in that fashion, but the code says what it says. What say you? It appears to me the language could use some improvement. :)

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I was reading the 2011 NEC, 312.8. It list the switch (along with overcurrent devices) enclosure as being required to have warning labels when there are feed-through conductors.

I understand the intent, because I have seen panels that have this. But a guy asked a good question. Do simple snap switch boxes have to have this label as well? It's rare I would feed-through a switch box but sometimes its quicker and easier to do this. So if one does this is it required to have the label to tell where the closest disconnect is?

If you followed the 'letter' of the code, then why aren't receptacle boxes required for it too? I don't think the CMP intended for that to be used in that fashion, but the code says what it says. What say you? It appears to me the language could use some improvement. :)
Yes it could use Improvement,Why would they not want all the circuits in the box identified?

Cavie

Care to elborate on why this is a problem??

Its an issue with panelboards as when you turn off the main breaker your assumption is all the power is off.

Thanks for everyones input. So the article I referred to does not apply. ;) As for the 'assumption that all power is off' , thats what we are not suppose to do. one has to test the power both before and after for verification of all things being deenergized to work on.

Status
Not open for further replies.