Dispatcher/Scheduler

Status
Not open for further replies.

worksmart

We are a small(but growing) electrical service company, we have 3 trucks/Journeyman and a few helpers that roam between jobs based on difficulty. Due to inceased lead volume and growth we need a dispatcher for answering calls/emails, initial client contact and scheduling technicians most efficiently to maximize billbale hours. Has anyone tried any 3rd party dispatch/answering services that they would recommend? We also may hire a dispatcher directly, but are thinking of compensating this person based on a per-hour-scheduled commission basis. Has anyone done a commission compensation plan for a dispatcher? Or are they typically paid hourly?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
We are a small(but growing) electrical service company, we have 3 trucks/Journeyman and a few helpers that roam between jobs based on difficulty. Due to inceased lead volume and growth we need a dispatcher for answering calls/emails, initial client contact and scheduling technicians most efficiently to maximize billbale hours. Has anyone tried any 3rd party dispatch/answering services that they would recommend? We also may hire a dispatcher directly, but are thinking of compensating this person based on a per-hour-scheduled commission basis. Has anyone done a commission compensation plan for a dispatcher? Or are they typically paid hourly?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

I would not recomend the third party. Hire your own and cross train with office duties untill you require a dedicated dispatcher. You need someone that is dedicated to the companies mission,and third party answering usually creates nighmares.

Last edited:

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
When I lived elsewhere in NJ I had a plumber I used regularly. He was a 2-truck show and used a 3rd party outfit to take all his incoming calls and schedule the leaking-toilet calls. He thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. He started making more money right away since he didn't have to deal with the time vampires. Sorry that I can't remember the service's name. The ones who are worth anything should be glad to give you a list of happy clients you can talk to.

nhfire77

I have seen full, live answering services, but not a 3rd party contractor dispatcher, if you remember it, or another member has a recommendation, that would be great.

Dispatcher

Dispatcher

I would hire a dispatcher and work out a bonus arrangement based on positive customer feedback and productivity. I would not base compensation on commission as I think this would tend to motivate the dispatcher to overbook jobs. In this day of real time customer reviews on the Internet you do not want a customer waiting for hours or worse yet a missed appointment.

220/221

I can't imagine using a dispatcher that didn't have a decent knowledge of the electrical business. It would also be helpful to know the tech's personally and understand their strengths, weaknesses and preferences as well as if they had been to the job before.

There are a lot of things to know besides location of the call. You should have at least some idea of the time and materials that will be involved.

I'd also suggest to invest in GPS tracking so you know where everybody is at all times. If something comes in you will want to send the proper truck to the call and the GPS makes it really easy. It also gives detailed reports which will help efficiency.

rt66electric

Hire the handicpped

Hire the handicpped

Is this one of those opportunities that would be excellent for a disabled(wheel chair) person??

A retired electrician, who is unable to climb ladders?

Look for tax rebates and incentives.

One EC would hire EX-CONS for the tax breaks.

worksmart

dispatcher

dispatcher

Is this one of those opportunities that would be excellent for a disabled(wheel chair) person??

A retired electrician, who is unable to climb ladders?

Look for tax rebates and incentives.

One EC would hire EX-CONS for the tax breaks.

We did advertise it for a disabled person and/or veteran. Retired electrican is a good idea.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.