How to set acceleration & deceleration settings of a VFD ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danishdeshmuk

How to set acceleration & deceleration settings of a VFD ? What's the best procedure to do it ?

How to calculate that acceleration & deceleration time to execute right operation so that vfd don't show overcurrent alarm during acceleration and don't show Over DC Bus Voltage during deceleration ?

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
How to set acceleration & deceleration settings of a VFD ? What's the best procedure to do it ?

How to calculate that acceleration & deceleration time to execute right operation so that vfd don't show overcurrent alarm during acceleration and don't show Over DC Bus Voltage during deceleration ?
Usually? Trial and error. Determine what you would LIKE it to be, try it and if it doesn't work, adjust to what it takes.

danishdeshmuk

Usually? Trial and error. Determine what you would LIKE it to be, try it and if it doesn't work, adjust to what it takes.

Usually , how to keep (of how many percent) the motor and the drive to run so as to not get overcurrent during the acceleration ?

Lets suppose if a motor's FLA is 31Amps then for during acceleration time what should be the Peak current value ?

thanks

danishdeshmuk

Would you tell me in a much detail , how to do that for a new VFD and for a new motor for a newer process/operation ?

For any motor, lets suppose FLA rating of a motor is 31.5 Amps , then what percent of this current should the motor attain at its peak during acceleration (for the best setting of acceleration time) ?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Would you tell me in a much detail , how to do that for a new VFD and for a new motor for a newer process/operation ?

For any motor, lets suppose FLA rating of a motor is 31.5 Amps , then what percent of this current should the motor attain at its peak during acceleration (for the best setting of acceleration time) ?

if you exceed the overload setting in the vfd long enough it will trip. depending on the level of the current above the setting it may trip in a few seconds or a few minutes.

really, trial and error is how this is normally done. most vfd applications it does not make much difference what the accel or decel rate is. If it matters, someone needs to calculate the torque required for the accel and decel rates you need and get a big enough motor and VFD to handle it. you might need a brake resistor if your decel results in significant regeneration, or even a line regen unit.

danishdeshmuk

if you exceed the overload setting in the vfd long enough it will trip. depending on the level of the current above the setting it may trip in a few seconds or a few minutes.

really, trial and error is how this is normally done. most vfd applications it does not make much difference what the accel or decel rate is. If it matters, someone needs to calculate the torque required for the accel and decel rates you need and get a big enough motor and VFD to handle it. you might need a brake resistor if your decel results in significant regeneration, or even a line regen unit.

How to calculate the torque required for the acceleration and for deceleration ?

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
How to calculate the torque required for the acceleration and for deceleration ?
Do a search for "acceleration torque formula" and look for one that uses standard units you are familiar with. Then be prepared to do more research on things like "moment of inertia" and other terms you may not comprehend in the formulae.

Or go back to school and pay better attention in the physics classes. I had to...

danishdeshmuk

Do a search for "acceleration torque formula" and look for one that uses standard units you are familiar with. Then be prepared to do more research on things like "moment of inertia" and other terms you may not comprehend in the formulae.

Or go back to school and pay better attention in the physics classes. I had to...

How it is related or based on inertia of the load ?

How the inertia of the load is calculated ?

thanks

Besoeker

How it is related or based on inertia of the load ?

How the inertia of the load is calculated ?

thanks

If you want to send me a PM with your email address I'll send you a few spreadsheets that I've developed for speed, torque, inertia and acceleration.

Status
Not open for further replies.