hospitals/federal buildings

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidtite

Im new to commercial/industial settings but for the last 6 mounths I have been working in two different federal hospitals and one courthouse and It seems to me that their specs dont make sense.Everything must be ran in emt witch I could understand but they made us pull everything in solid thhn up to 8awg witch makes no sense.Also the specs made us use all compresion fittings with 1900 boxes witch seems strange to me aswell is this normal specs for hospitals and federal buildings?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
All of what you posted are pretty common specs to me.

Roger

brian john

Had one job nothing smaller than #10 AWG, all conduit in the main electric room rigid, circuit breakers for motors in the facility fed out of the main electric room were draw, we had several 15 and 20 amp draw out circuit breakers.

ceb58

Above and beyond code, nothing new. Our state facility's have code like steel comp. connectors and couplings, conduit cannot be used for the EGC, bolt in panels.

cadpoint

It's just how they roll, bigger, beefier and stronger. I'm on a public job right now where any branch circuit is required to be #10 AWG for the first one hundred and fifty feet. I want to also mention that they do consider life cycles of most public structures, they build them to last but it's really over my head, to .:huh:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Certain buildings, such as hospitals, police stations, fire stations, and many others, are considered "essential services buildings" and no matter what the natural or man made disaster, they must remain on line.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Certain buildings, such as hospitals, police stations, fire stations, and many others, are considered "essential services buildings" and no matter what the natural or man made disaster, they must remain on line.
Certain retail stores must consider themselves in the same camp because they have the same specs as the OP.

jumper

The portable units I work on for the military have to withstand a 5' drop to the ground and still work as a final test spec.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Certain retail stores must consider themselves in the same camp because they have the same specs as the OP.

Well that's usually just an EE that doesn't know what in the heck he's talking about. But then some might. We have 6 large buildings in town that house B of A and the back up power that they have installed in them would rival most military bases.:happyyes:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Don do you do that when bidding federal work. How do you submit standardized bids?
Has not been on any federal jobs. These specs are common for commerical and school work in our area. I am not sure exactly how the office takes an exception to the solid #10.

Status
Not open for further replies.