How to bid a remodel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never been asked to bid out a kitchen remodel. Im not sure how to about it. Ive heard some people say to bid per opening, and others say to bid per circuit being added. This is a small kitchen. Electrical panel is in next room and very easy to access. This is in chicago so its in pipe. I need to run 4 new circuits to pipe and wire kitchen counter tops and appliances. Quick breakdown is I will need a pipe from the panel to bring new circuits over. Need 3 countertop outlets, microwave outlet, refridg outlet, 110 range outlet, disposal, dishwasher, and 7 new recessed can lights. again everything is in pipe and all walls are open. I may need to re-pipe thier outlets for washer dryerthat are in the kitchen but wont need to repull the wire. Any help is wonderfull.

fisherelectric

Figure out how many hours you think it will take you and multiply by how much you need to make per hour to cover all your expenses and make a decent profit. If that number is less than the going rate...go with the going rate. Figure out how much the material will cost and put your mark up on it. Add those 2 numbers together.

contractor wants to see a breakdown. I am wondering what a per opening quote or a per circuit qoute would look like. Im also looking for a kind of "what would this project bid for."

ceb58

contractor wants to see a breakdown. I am wondering what a per opening quote or a per circuit qoute would look like. Im also looking for a kind of "what would this project bid for."
That's a big red flag right there. Sounds like he wants to bid shop your price. I would give a total price and leave it at that.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
That's a big red flag right there. Sounds like he wants to bid shop your price. I would give a total price and leave it at that.

Roger that!
I would say you have very little chance of getting the job unless you are way low. And I'd also say that the GC's regular electrician is about to get beat up with your price.......

wolfman56

Kitchens are the one room that a per opening price would be hard to do. It's best to figure how long it should take, plus materials and give a total price. It seems that no matter what happens we spend two days roughing a kitchen remodel in a custom home. (Two of us)

There is no need for the GC to have a per opening price. Unless he wants to shop your price. However make sure you list how many of each item on your bid, in case it changes. I tell them that the total price is based on them doing just what is listed. To add or subtract an item will affect the cost per each as a composite, requiring a revised quote.

An example is that you will spend pretty much the same amount of time laying out eight can lights as you would six. Layout sometimes takes longer then the installation. If you took the total cost (time and material), for eight cans, divided by eight and called the total the per each cost. Then the GC decides he only wants six, by deducting the total of the last equation times two, you would be loosing money.

Also, absolutely never ever rough in a kitchen without a proper cabinet print that includes the countertop overhang! Every time we were talked into doing it off a blueprint, or going according what the GC says will work, we end up having to go back and move a box on trim after paint and drywall. And nobody wants to pay for that, they always say you made the mistake, it's your fault.

Rick

rt66electric

$100 per item

$100 per item

I had a remodel GC . Say "your are easy to BID"...... $100 per item...... ask the customer "how many thing the want done?"... add up the parts, and material.. add $100 per item..

macmikeman

There is danger in deciding to bid a kitchen remodel on a "per outlet" type basis. For one thing, the "per outlet" price is usually derived from deciding on a price "per outlet" for a whole house wiring job, and then adjusting it up or down for future house wiring jobs based on the actual profit derived from the price scheme. All fine and dandy except you are installing way less the number of outlets in a kitchen remodel and many times the same "per outlet" price is the number used. The poster who said it takes 2 days is not far off by any stretch. Sure once in a great while, one gets done in a day, but mostly not. Some of the ones I have done have taken more than two days. Best advice I have is to bid based on a doubled up amount that you would have charged for the kitchen if it was a new house wiring job. Or even more. And don't break it down for the GC. If he wants to add more lights or switches during the job, charge what you would be charging for a service call to an existing dwelling with closed in walls. Make money and thrive.

growler

Im also looking for a kind of "what would this project bid for."

Bids on projects like this can be all over the place.

There are things to look for that will increase the bid price. Does this GC require that all subs be licensed and have liability and workman's comp. ? Does he have a permit and a set of plans that were submitted for approval?

Is this a custom remodel for a homeowner that will care about quality or a job for an investor that just wants to sell the house?

If this GC is doing remodels for investors and looking just for the rock bottom low price then it will be dirt cheap. If he has a reputaion for quality high end work and is looking for a good electrician then it's possible to get more.

Give him a price where you think that you can make money then get as much as possible up front. If you don't get the job then don't worry about it.

GUNNING

WORK IS WORK

WORK IS WORK

Tell the GC you will break down the price when he pays you your hourly rate to estimate the job.
Give him a price and for what specifically. 2 men 75 feet of pipe and wire 4 GFCI outlets. $6000 (it is Chicago).
Tell him you also need a exclusivity contract. No other electrical contractors will work for him within 100 miles. Tell him that is how you will give him a break on labor and or materials.:happysad:

jes25

contractor wants to see a breakdown. "

Someone on here said one time that they respond to this question with "it usually comes out about half and half". I like that and use it whenever I'm asked. I add to it that I'm using such and such product with such and such great features.

satcom

whatever way you choose to price the work, remember you are an electrical contractor, not a day worker, when we set up our contracting business, we do so with the intent of, building a business, and making a profit, if we work for day labor rate, and give away the material, we would be in a better position if we were employed as an electrician.

bobbymari

I had a remodel GC . Say "your are easy to BID"...... $100 per item...... ask the customer "how many thing the want done?"... add up the parts, and material.. add $100 per item..

and your response to this remodel gc was , youre just as easy to walk away from right? no 2 jobs are the same. open walls or not, drywall or lathe and plaster, are there plans or do I put on my engineers/designers hat. with that logic youd be remodeling kitchens for around 800 plus parts. Not around here bud

Jps1006

Im also looking for a kind of "what would this project bid for."

$2250 and that includes a switch for the disposal and a switch for the cans. I cant imagine that is everything though. Is there no demolition? I also count every outlet as a new one. Ultimately, even the existing outlet that doesnt move gets completely stripped and repiped, pulled and deviced anyway. No 3-ways? No undercabinet lights? no dinette light? dimmers? My typical kitchen is $3500-5500 at bid and usually another $1000 after they add all of the "as long you're here" stuff. But I usually have more openings and appliances than you have listed.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
since you have no experience in this area, it might be instructive to bid it by looking very carefully at what it will take rather than using rules of thumb that can come back to bite you.

rules of thumb work pretty well as long as one knows things well enough to know when they don't work real well.

bobbymari

since you have no experience in this area, it might be instructive to bid it by looking very carefully at what it will take rather than using rules of thumb that can come back to bite you.

rules of thumb work pretty well as long as one knows things well enough to know when they don't work real well.

that last sentence had me cross eyed:lol::blink:

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
appliance

appliance

Don't do any work without the appliance specs! I just completed a kitchen. I was told there would be a direct replacement of the gas stove. After the kitchen was completed I get a call, "the breaker trips when I turn on the warming oven." The gas stove is on the same circuit as the fridge and the stove requires a dedicated minimum 15 amp circuit. No one wants to own this problem.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Don't do any work without the appliance specs! I just completed a kitchen. I was told there would be a direct replacement of the gas stove. After the kitchen was completed I get a call, "the breaker trips when I turn on the warming oven." The gas stove is on the same circuit as the fridge and the stove requires a dedicated minimum 15 amp circuit. No one wants to own this problem.

I had a customer once changed a motor from a 1 or 2 HP motor to a 30HP and never did understand why the fuses kept blowing. Did not want to pay to change out the motor starter or fuses. I would guess eventually he had to do something with it. As far as I am concerned, the guy that owns it owns, and it is not me, unless I am the guy that owns it.

Status
Not open for further replies.