Metal objects located withing five feet of pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

O'donisR

Metal objects located withing five feet of pool must be bonded to the pool equipotential grid NEC 680.26 B3. I failed an inspection just because a frame door is located withing 5 feet of pool, now the inspector want me to bond the metal frame of door to the pool grid, my question is, can I just bond the door frame by using a #8 solid copper wire and connecte it to the pool panel grounding bar?

Thank you

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
Metal objects located withing five feet of pool must be bonded to the pool equipotential grid NEC 680.26 B3. I failed an inspection just because a frame door is located withing 5 feet of pool, now the inspector want me to bond the metal frame of door to the pool grid, my question is, can I just bond the door frame by using a #8 solid copper wire and connecte it to the pool panel grounding bar?
The metal parts required to be bonded per 680.26(B) include all metal parts of electrical equipment associated with the water-circulating system of the pool, all metal parts of the pool structure, and all fixed metal parts, which include conduit and piping, metal door frames, and metal window frames, within 5 ft of the inside walls of the pool and not separated by a permanent barrier. Other examples of fixed metal parts covered by this requirement include metal fences and metal awnings. The bonding of these parts can be accomplished by one or more of the following methods using a solid 8 AWG or larger, insulated, covered, or bare copper conductor:

?
spacer.gif
Connecting the parts directly to each other in series or parallel configurations

?
spacer.gif
Connecting the parts to the unencapsulated structural metal forming the shell of a conductive pool or connecting the parts to a copper conductor grid system used around the contour of a conductive pool shell

?
spacer.gif
Connecting the parts together using the pool shell constructed of bolted or welded steel as a common connection point.

?
spacer.gif
Connecting the parts to the perimeter bonding grid consisting of either structural reinforcing steel (rebar or welded wire mesh) or a solid 8 AWG bare copper conductor encircling the perimeter of the pool

No would be your answer.

Thank you

No would be your answer.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Why would "no" be the answer? The metal parts within 5' of the inside wall of the pool are required to be connected to the pool bonding grid.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Why would "no" be the answer? The metal parts within 5' of the inside wall of the pool are required to be connected to the pool bonding grid.

But is there an existing pool equipotential bonding grid? And if so, is it connected to the pool panel grounding bar? It appears that just connecting it to panel grounding bar is not one of the four specified methods. Unless you see it as covered in the first one?

Status
Not open for further replies.