USB Receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
So can I install this receptacle on a dedicated 20 amp circuit?

7004B12AE85245749418026D4214C07B.ashx

cadpoint

It's a class two device, where that leave things? Does this means this is classed to the plugs themselves, or to what gets plugged in. Note the imprint is between the USB plugs/ports. I'm laughing to myself, I 110.3'd myself.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
No. The circuit has to have at least two receptacles before you can put 15A-rated receptacle on a 20A circuit [210.21(B)(3)]
I agree, the USB outlet is not a receptacle and it is not a part of chapters 1 through 4. The actual wording is
(1) Single Receptacle on an Individual Branch Circuit. A single receptacle installed on an individual branch circuit shall have an ampere rating not less than that of the branch circuit.
It wouldn't matter what else was on the same yoke unless it was another receptacle.

Roger

renosteinke

I was going to say "no," for reasons others have already stated .... BUT ....

"Smart House."

Is it possible that those USB ports might be used by the dedicated appliance to communicate with controls? Say, for an air conditioner to be tied into a computer so you can turn it on with a phone call, on the way home from work? USB power to a wireless ethernet device, perhaps a field accessory to an appliance of another make.

Of course, an outlet is an outlet, and the thing has no idea what will ever be plugged into it. Ultimately, I suspect the entire 'dedicated' idea in the code is doomed ....

Smart $

Esteemed Member
It says a single receptacle but it is feeding the usb so it is not just a single receptacle. Is it?
I see your point. Your initial question is misleading. If this is the only device connected to the branch circuit, then it is not an individual branch circuit. It powers one piece of utilization equipment (the USB jacks' power supply), and has a receptacle. While by definition it is an individual branch circuit when nothing is plugged into the receptacle, as soon as something is plugged into the receptacle, it is no longer an individual branch circuit... so I do not consider it an individual branch circuit (JMO).

Anyway... when I cited 210.21(B), but I wasn't really referring to just 210.21(B)(1). I was actually concerned with 210.21(B)(3), which is the only place I'm aware of that permits putting a 15A device on a 20A circuit... but only if there are two or more receptacles or outlets. In the OP-described case, there is not two or more receptacles or outlets on the branch circuit. Just one receptacle, one outlet.

cadpoint

I was going to say "no," for reasons others have already stated .... BUT ....

"Smart House."

Is it possible that those USB ports might be used by the dedicated appliance to communicate with controls? ...
The literature says that this device is Not to be used with anything else. "... USB ports are for charging purposes only they are not intended for data transfer", this is in the description. People and company's are ready to make a lot of things smart, or report or broadcast! This device is just not for that...

Status
Not open for further replies.