GFCI's in Industrial Buildings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon456

I been looking in the 2008 NEC, but can't seem to find a clear answer. I'd appreciate some guidance and references to the applicable sections of the NEC.

We have some steel buildings and wood buildings (aircraft hangars, warehouses, and industrial work spaces). For single-phase, 115VAC, 20A receptacles inside these spaces, what are the requirements for GFCI protection? Are there different requirements for receptacles near access doors as opposed receptacles well within the interior spaces?

Thanks!

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
210.8(b) pretty much sums it up.
There are not many GFCI requirements in "other than dwelling" occupancies.

WorkSafe

The code is pretty clear in my eyes. I don't see where it's required from what you tell me. However, all our aircraft hangar receptacles require GFCI because of Air Force policy. We have mechanics using power tools and such and OSHA requires those tools to be protected by GFCI. That and when the hangard doors are open, it can get pretty moist inside the hangar.

B Other Than Dwelling Units. All 125-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere receptacles installed in the locations specified in (1) through (5) shall have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel:

(1)Bathrooms

(2)Kitchens

(3)Rooftops

(4)Outdoors

Exception No. 1 to (3) and (4): Receptacles that are not readily accessible and are supplied from a dedicated branch circuit for electric snow-melting or deicing equipment shall be permitted to be installed without GFCI protection.

Exception No. 2 to (4): In industrial establishments only, where the conditions of maintenance and supervision ensure that only qualified personnel are involved, an assured equipment grounding conductor program as specified in 590.6(B)(2) shall be permitted for only those receptacle outlets used to supply equipment that would create a greater hazard if power is interrupted or having a design that is not compatible with GFCI protection.

(5)Sinks ? where receptacles are installed within 1.8 m (6 ft) of the outside edge of the sink.

Exception No 1 to (5): In industrial laboratories, receptacles used to supply equipment where removal of power would introduce a greater hazard shall be permitted to be installed without GFCI protection.

Exception No 2 to (5): For receptacles located in patient care areas of health care facilities other than those covered under 210.8(B)(1), GFCI protection shall not be required.

C Boat Hoists. GFCI protection shall be provided for outlets not exceeding 240 volts that supply boat hoists installed in dwelling unit locations.

Jon456

Thanks. I did read 210.8 (B). But another electrician had told me that all the receptacles in the hangar had to be GFCI protected, so I thought there was something else in the NEC that I was missing.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The "other electrician" is correct.(..sharper than I am also..I didn't pick up in the hanger..). There are specific GFCI requirements in various locations such as portions of aircraft hangers, garages, etc. You would need to check the Code for specific requirements for each occupancy.

Jon456

513.12 Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection for
Personnel. All 125-volt, 50/60-Hz, single-phase, 15? and
20-ampere receptacles installed in areas where electrical
diagnostic equipment, electrical hand tools, or portable
lighting equipment are to be used shall have ground-fault
circuit-interrupter protection for personnel.​

So what about receptacles that are not used for electrical diagnostic equipment, electrical hand tools, or portable lighting equipment? For example, one receptacle is used for an aircraft battery maintenance charger. It would be bad if the GFCI tripped and then the aircraft's batteries discharged.

lakee911

I liberally call out the use of GFCI recepacles in my industrial designs...along with weatherproof-in-use covers. The code isn't a design manual and I consider the GFCI necessary for safety reasons.

Jon456

Hmmm...tripped GFCI and a dead battery vs a dead body. Choices.
Deep discharge of batteries can shorten their life considerably and cause them to not hold charge as designed. Not exactly something one would want in an aircraft battery that must keep life-critical avionics operating in the event of an onboard generator failure, particularly in a business-class tuboprop that is frequently flown long-range in IFR conditions. Choices.

Jon456

Personnel. All 125-volt, 50/60-Hz, single-phase, 15? and

So what about receptacles that are not used for electrical diagnostic equipment, electrical hand tools, or portable lighting equipment?
I'm still hoping for clarification on this.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
GFI's are cheap. Why not err on the side of safety? Nuisance trips regarding GFI's are few and far between. If we were talking arc faults, I'd avoid them like the plague if the weren't required.

pfalcon

2011:210.8.B said:
(8) Garages, service bays, and similar areas where electrical diagnostic equipment, electrical hand tools, or portable lighting equipment are to be used.

2011:100 said:
Garage. A building or portion of a building in which one or more self-propelled vehicles can be kept for use, sale, storage, rental, repair, exhibition, or demonstration purposes.

GFCI required on adoption of 2011 NEC but not before; IMO.

A hangar is a fancy name for a garage used for aircraft. A service bay is a fancy name for a garage used for repair.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
Personnel. All 125-volt, 50/60-Hz, single-phase, 15– and

So what about receptacles that are not used for electrical diagnostic equipment, electrical hand tools, or portable lighting equipment? For example, one receptacle is used for an aircraft battery maintenance charger. It would be bad if the GFCI tripped and then the aircraft's batteries discharged.

I'm still hoping for clarification on this.

...the code states that ALL 15 and 20 amp receptacles installed in areas WHERE electrical diagnostic equipment, electrical hand tools, or portablelighting equipment are to be used shall have ground-fault
circuit-interrupter protection for personnel
.[/INDENT][/I]

Status
Not open for further replies.