USB Receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member

To say that this is only a single 15 amp receptacle connected to the circuit is to say that the USB circuity is not connected at all.
I'm not saying it is a single receptacle (refer to receptacle definition).

What I am saying is that it is only one receptacle, rated 15A, and only one outlet on the 20A branch circuit, as described in the OP. What part of 210.21(B) does this comply with?

kwired

Electron manager
I'm not saying it is a single receptacle (refer to receptacle definition).

What I am saying is that it is only one receptacle, rated 15A, and only one outlet on the 20A branch circuit, as described in the OP. What part of 210.21(B) does this comply with?
Well then it is not a single receptacle just like a 15 amp duplex is not a single receptacle and it can be on a 20 amp circuit with no additional outlets.

Is it not a 15 amp receptacle and something else that we haven't come up with a name for?

Couldn't a person have a duplex receptacle with a 15 amp 250 volt receptacle and a 15 amp 125 volt receptacle on same yoke and feed it with a single 20 amp multiwire circuit? Kind of a similar thing with a little different twist to it.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
210.21(B)(3) for two or more receptacles or outlets. Are you saying that you cannot have one of each type to comply?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
One outlet with two utilization points, or two different outlets? They are on one yoke or strap but they definitely are not the same type of utilization points.
One outlet. What device or utilization equipment is connected at the outlet matters not.

Question for all, is one 15A-rated duplex receptacle permitted on a 20A branch circuit? Is it one or two receptacles?

Should they be allowed on a small appliance branch circuit?
IMO yes.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
No... but I don't believe you can count a receptacle AND the outlet it is connected to as two.

Looks like we're going to have to agree to disagree. I can't see how you cannot call the USB circuitry and it's connection to the circuit an outlet even if it's connected on the same device.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Just as a duplex receptacle is considered 2 receptacles why wouldn't this device be considered as 2- not 2 receptacles but a recep. and another outlet.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Yes, and a duplex is considered 2 receptacles
I agree.

So let's say we have an illuminated switch-receptacle combo device, rated 15A 120V, switch controls the receptacle, installed in a 1G box that is the only outlet on a 20A circuit. Is this permitted? ...and if yes, under what provision?

kwired

Electron manager
Just as a duplex receptacle is considered 2 receptacles why wouldn't this device be considered as 2- not 2 receptacles but a recep. and another outlet.

Just like my example of a 125 volt and a 250 volt receptacle both on same yoke, with a common supply conductor to both.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I agree.

So let's say we have an illuminated switch-receptacle combo device, rated 15A 120V, switch controls the receptacle, installed in a 1G box that is the only outlet on a 20A circuit. Is this permitted? ...and if yes, under what provision?

This is the same argument. IMO, it should be a 20 amp circuit however based on code I believe a 15 amp circuit would be compliant. Get rid of the light---that changes things. Now why would a lighted switch change anything-- it really shouldn't.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Take the device out of the box. You have an outlet. Put it back in, you still have an outlet with a device. I don't believe 210.21(B)(3) intends for the outlet and a receptacle device installed in that outlet to be counted as meeting the "two or more" requirement.

What about a 15A simplex receptacle being the only connection in the only outlet box of a 20A branch circuit. Are you going qualify that as "two or more".

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Okay... but where does Code say you can have one 15A-rated receptacle on a 20A branch circuit?

It doesnt.

If you consider this device more than one outlet, then it is allowed.

If its considered 1 outlet and you dont count the USB ports as outlets then you could put it on a 20a dedicated circuit but the receptacle would have to be a 20a rated receptacle.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Take the device out of the box. You have an outlet. Put it back in, you still have an outlet with a device. I don't believe 210.21(B)(3) intends for the outlet and a receptacle device installed in that outlet to be counted as meeting the "two or more" requirement.
I agree about the intent as I stated a few times however we cannot go by intent.

What about a 15A simplex receptacle being the only connection in the only outlet box of a 20A branch circuit. Are you going qualify that as "two or more".
Not sure I follow. If a single recep. is fed by a 20 amp circuit then yes it would need to be 20 amp. You know that so I am missing something. I assume you mean single recep when you say simplex.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Where does the nec state that you cannot use a single recep 15 amp on a 20 amp circuit if it feeds other outlets?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
This is the same argument. IMO, it should be a 20 amp circuit however based on code I believe a 15 amp circuit would be compliant. Get rid of the light---that changes things. Now why would a lighted switch change anything-- it really shouldn't.
Same argument as your OP.

I believe you meant 20A device.

The point I was trying to make is this only qualifies IMO as one (1) receptacle for the purpose of 210.21(B)(3)... not 1 receptacle AND 1 outlet. IMO the intent of "two or more receptacles or outlets" is that the outlets counted are ones without a receptacle device.

kwired

Electron manager

Say we had a device on a single yoke that just had only the USB port and nothing else. Is that allowed to be the only outlet on either a 15 or 20 amp circuit? Can it be a stand alone outlet on a SABC? Can it be on a SABC period? Chances are it draws less current than the allowed clock outlet or a receptacle for a gas range that is permitted to be on the SABC yet it is not specifically mentioned in any way as any other kind of outlet permitted on the SABC's. Now combining it with a single 5-15 receptacle on same yoke changes all that?

Smart $

Esteemed Member

Not sure I follow. If a single recep. is fed by a 20 amp circuit then yes it would need to be 20 amp. You know that so I am missing something. I assume you mean single recep when you say simplex.
What I'm saying is you don't count the "assembly" as one receptacle AND one outlet to qualify as "two or more receptacles or outlets", do you?

Status
Not open for further replies.