residential piers

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissLiz

I have a question on where in code that a pier must be wired in conduit and that the ground wire must be insulated. I can not find this in code and I dont disagree with the wiring method I would like to understand where it is coming from. I have always wired a residential pier in PVC conduit using copper wire THHN with insulated ground wire but can not find the reasoning in code other than that is the way it has always been done. The Inspectors site that, that is code but also only site wiring methods. I question then if that is case why the insulated ground wire when code allows the use of insulated or bare. This is not a boat yard or marina. The reason for the question is have so many piers that are wired in UF wire and when we come to repair or rewire pier the customer always asked why can't we use UF wire. As a side note the piers are wired for boat lift or jet ski lift and maybe simple lighting.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I'm assuming that your installation type is covered under the last sentenceof the scope of Article 555?

555.1 Scope. This article covers the installation of wiring
and equipment in the areas comprising fixed or floating
piers, wharves, docks, and other areas in marinas, boatyards,
boat basins, boathouses, yacht clubs, boat condominiums,
docking facilities associated with residential condominiums,
any multiple docking facility, or similar occupancies, and fa-
cilities that are used, or intended for use, for the purpose of
repair, berthing, launching, storage, or fueling of small craft
and the moorage of floating buildings.
Private, noncommercial docking facilities constructed or
occupied for the use of the owner or residents of the associated
single-family dwelling are not covered by this article.

MissLiz

this is the problem with wiring of residential piers as there is not as I see it a section of code that covers this question. So the only section is 555 that gives any kind of answers to that question. The only problem is the added cost of job just to wire a receptacle or light on small pier

MissLiz

repley

repley

So the last (bold) sentence is not applicable? Then can you explain the installation with a little more detail?
The installation is a 30ft stationary Private residential pier that has a 10 ton boat lift and the customer has wired in UF cabel with GFIC protection from his home. The Inspectors have turned his work down stating that it must be wired in conduit with insulated ground as required in code. But the way I understand 555.1 is that this does not cover residential private piers. So where do I go to get the answer?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Isn't it amazing that an electrical safety requirement for a commercial dock is not a requirement for a private dock.
Makes one wonder how those electrons know the difference :D

buzzbar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The only potential issue that I see is that you can't use UF wire where 'subject to physical damage'. (340.12 (10)).

Having said that, the local codes in my area prohibit the use of UF on docks. Don't know about your area. :)

MissLiz

I agree with the UF physical damage issue but the customer wired it correctly protecting wire at the point that it could be considered exposed to physical damage. The local codes are the NEC and that is why the questions.
The only potential issue that I see is that you can't use UF wire where 'subject to physical damage'. (340.12 (10)).

Having said that, the local codes in my area prohibit the use of UF on docks. Don't know about your area. :)

ceb58

The installation is a 30ft stationary Private residential pier that has a 10 ton boat lift and the customer has wired in UF cabel with GFIC protection from his home. The Inspectors have turned his work down stating that it must be wired in conduit with insulated ground as required in code. But the way I understand 555.1 is that this does not cover residential private piers. So where do I go to get the answer?
This is where you go back to the inspector and ask for a code reference while showing him 555.1.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree with the UF physical damage issue but the customer wired it correctly protecting wire at the point that it could be considered exposed to physical damage. The local codes are the NEC and that is why the questions.

It sounds as if the inspector is enforcing something from Article 555 which in this case is not applicable to the installation. There are many nebulous sections in the NEC but this isn't one of them.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
It sounds as if the inspector is enforcing something from Article 555 which in this case is not applicable to the installation. There are many nebulous sections in the NEC but this isn't one of them.

For those undereducated like myself :D
(I looked it up)

neb?u?lous

adjective 1. hazy, vague, indistinct, or confused: a nebulous recollection of the meeting; a nebulous distinction between pride and conceit.

2. cloudy or cloudlike.

ceb58

For those undereducated like myself :D
(I looked it up)

neb?u?lous

adjective 1. hazy, vague, indistinct, or confused: a nebulous recollection of the meeting; a nebulous distinction between pride and conceit.

2. cloudy or cloudlike.
Yea, one of those big words like mayonnaise :dunce:

Status
Not open for further replies.