Switched branch circuits for general recepts & lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwm1752

I've been approached by a designer/engineer who's client is worried about Electrical Magnetic Forces. They are proposing to use a switching system to control branch circuits supplying all outlets in bedrooms. The switching mechanism would be conveniently located in each appropriate bedroom. Are the duplex receptacles controlled consider switched receptacles? Can they be considered as part of the required receptacles in a dwelling unit even though they are switched? Does the code address whether the general receptacles be fed live all the time?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I've been approached by a designer/engineer who's client is worried about Electrical Magnetic Forces. They are proposing to use a switching system to control branch circuits supplying all outlets in bedrooms. The switching mechanism would be conveniently located in each appropriate bedroom. Are the duplex receptacles controlled consider switched receptacles? Can they be considered as part of the required receptacles in a dwelling unit even though they are switched? Does the code address whether the general receptacles be fed live all the time?

If you switch the entire receptacle then it would not comply unless a non switched outlet were installed also. We usually will switch half the recep to comply.

A properly wired house will have no issues with electrical magnetic field's

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
It's common in fire stations to have a single switch control all the receptacles in the living / dining / cooking area. It's usually a button they hit on the way out, shutting down everything except the lighting. IIRC, it even shuts off the range.

I found nothing in NEC 2008 210.52 that does not allow the above.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
It's common in fire stations to have a single switch control all the receptacles in the living / dining / cooking area. It's usually a button they hit on the way out, shutting down everything except the lighting. IIRC, it even shuts off the range.

I found nothing in NEC 2008 210.52 that does not allow the above.

We are not talking fire station but a residence. 210.52 states that the required receptacles in this section are in addition to 2) controlled by a wall switch in accordance with 210.70(A)(1) except. 1.

This clearly states that a non switched receptacle must be part of those required in 210.52, IMO. Now a half switched receptacle works to satisfy compliance.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
We are not talking fire station but a residence. 210.52 states that the required receptacles in this section are in addition to 2) controlled by a wall switch in accordance with 210.70(A)(1) except. 1.

This clearly states that a non switched receptacle must be part of those required in 210.52, IMO. Now a half switched receptacle works to satisfy compliance.

The code applies to dwellings, and in this case the station meets all the qualifications and the firefighters stay there for several days at a time.

Something for me to discuss with the inspector next time I see him.

Back to the OT.

Is a circuit breaker considered a switch? Could rooms or zones be powered down with a breaker when desired? If so (if no, then all receptacles on breakers would be non compliant), then how about placing sub panels hither and zither with breakers in them to control each room or zone?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
The code applies to dwellings, and in this case the station meets all the qualifications and the firefighters stay there for several days at a time.

Something for me to discuss with the inspector next time I see him.

Back to the OT.

Is a circuit breaker considered a switch? Could rooms or zones be powered down with a breaker when desired? If so (if no, then all receptacles on breakers would be non compliant), then how about placing sub panels hither and zither with breakers in them to control each room or zone?

A circuit breaker is a switch of some sort but the art. refers to 210.70 specifically so the fact that a breaker is a switch has no impact on the discussion , IMO.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
A circuit breaker is a switch of some sort but the art. refers to 210.70 specifically so the fact that a breaker is a switch has no impact on the discussion , IMO.

From the first post:

I've been approached by a designer/engineer who's client is worried about Electrical Magnetic Forces. They are proposing to use a switching system to control branch circuits supplying all outlets in bedrooms.

If we read the NEC to not allow wall switches to control all the outlets (depends on how you read it, but anyway), my question is can breakers be used instead? I definitely think that has some impact on the discussion.

hurk27

210.52 clearly requires wall space receptacles in addition to any that are switched:

210.52 Dwelling Unit Receptacle Outlets. This section
provides requirements for 125-volt, 15- and 20-ampere receptacle
outlets. The receptacles required by this section
shall be in addition to any receptacle that is:

(1) Part of a luminaire or appliance, or
(2) Controlled by a wall switch in accordance with210.70(A)(1), Exception No. 1, or
(3) Located within cabinets or cupboards, or
(4) Located more than 1.7 m (51⁄2 ft) above the floor

If we accept that receptacles that are located inside cabinets do not meet the wall space requirements of this article then we must also accept the fact that switched receptacles do not meet this same requirement as both are located in the same rule posted above, the same as a receptacle at 6' above the floor would not count toward the wall space receptacles then you would be required to install a receptacle that does meet the 6'/12' rule in general living spaces or the 2'/4' rule on kitchen counter spaces.

I don't know how much clearer you can get then that?

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
210.52 clearly requires wall space receptacles in addition to any that are switched

No, that is not what it requires.

210.52 Dwelling Unit Receptacle Outlets. This section
provides requirements for 125-volt, 15- and 20-ampere receptacle
outlets. The receptacles required by this section
shall be in addition to any receptacle that is:

(1) Part of a luminaire or appliance, or

(2) Controlled by a wall switch in accordance with 210.70(A)(1), Exception No. 1, or

(3) Located within cabinets or cupboards, or

(4) Located more than 1.7 m (51⁄2 ft) above the floor

210.70(A)(1)

Exception No. 1: In other than kitchens and bathrooms,
one or more receptacles controlled by a wall switch shall
be permitted in lieu of lighting outlets.

The OP is not adding a switch under the allowances of exception 1 of 210.70(A)(1) so 210.52(2) does not apply.

You can add a 'master switch' to kill all power to all outlets.

jumper

210.52 clearly requires wall space receptacles in addition to any that are switched:

If we accept that receptacles that are located inside cabinets do not meet the wall space requirements of this article then we must also accept the fact that switched receptacles do not meet this same requirement as both are located in the same rule posted above, the same as a receptacle at 6' above the floor would not count toward the wall space receptacles then you would be required to install a receptacle that does meet the 6'/12' rule in general living spaces or the 2'/4' rule on kitchen counter spaces.

I don't know how much clearer you can get then that?

See not buying it at the moment.

Look at the specific rule:

(2) Controlled by a wall switch in accordance with
210.70(A)(1), Exception No. 1, or

As long as I meet the the requirement of at least one switched outlet in accordance with 210.70 nothing says that I cannot switch receptacles installed in accordance with 210.52.

Definition of ACCORDANCE
: agreement, conformity <in accordance with a rule>

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
IMO if there is one switch on the wall in that room that switches all the receptacles and there is no other form of switch lighting then it is a violation. I see no issue with an override switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.