appliance specifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
I have been involved with some remodeling projects using GE appliances. Some of the specs available online and with the appliances will state that the electrical requirements are 15 amp or 30 amps. For example a fridge is rated 15 amps or a dryer is rated 30 amps. They will also specify that that the fridge be installed on a 15 or 20 amp circuit.

Are these specs sufficient? Should they not state the actual amperage of the appliance? Surely, the fridge is not actually 15 amps?

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Does the requirement specify 15Amp dedicated / individual circuit or it only requires a 15A circuit?

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
feeder for kitchens and laundry rooms

feeder for kitchens and laundry rooms

I was sizing feeders for laundry and kitchen. In one case the laundry room had three washer and three dryers. The specs had the dryers rated at 30 amps. When I finally had a look at the nameplate it was rated 22 amps. Same for fridge. Specs state 15 amps--"15 or 20 amp dedicated circuit required." The name plate for the fridge was 11 amps.

shamsdebout

The should state the actual draw of the equipment but many times as you noted they do not. So we assume the worst case scenario and for the most part we should be ok without any severe economic repurcussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.