changing from MC to Emt

Status
Not open for further replies.

damiank_1

For years I have been able to go from MC to EMT by stripping back the jacket on the MC and changing over with a 1/2" coupling, EMT conn., and MC conn. But this past week I was told that is a violation of the code, because the conductors does not have the markings on the entire lenght of the wire. I have not found anything in the code to say I violated. Can anyone help me with this. Tks. (Hillsborough Cty. FL.)

copper chopper

only once

only once

one time I got yelled at for doing this, and the inspector said that the method I used was not a UL listed device. so I changed it to one of these. images.jpg 21yboZrY0gL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

jumper

For years I have been able to go from MC to EMT by stripping back the jacket on the MC and changing over with a 1/2" coupling, EMT conn., and MC conn. But this past week I was told that is a violation of the code, because the conductors does not have the markings on the entire lenght of the wire. I have not found anything in the code to say I violated. Can anyone help me with this. Tks. (Hillsborough Cty. FL.)

See 310.11 2008 or 310.120 2011.

310.120 Marking.

(A) Required Information. All conductors and cables
shall be marked to indicate the following information, using
the applicable method described in 310.120(B):
(1) The maximum rated voltage.
(2) The proper type letter or letters for the type of wire or
cable as specified elsewhere in this Code.
(3) The manufacturer?s name, trademark, or other distinctive
marking by which the organization responsible for
the product can be readily identified.
(4) The AWG size or circular mil area.

(B) Method of Marking.
(1) Surface Marking. The following conductors and
cables shall be durably marked on the surface. The AWG
size or circular mil area shall be repeated at intervals not
exceeding 610 mm (24 in.). All other markings shall be
repeated at intervals not exceeding 1.0 m (40 in.).
(1) Single-conductor and multiconductor rubber- and
thermoplastic-insulated wire and cable
(2) Nonmetallic-sheathed cable
(3) Service-entrance cable
(4) Underground feeder and branch-circuit cable
(5) Tray cable
(6) Irrigation cable
(7) Power-limited tray cable
(8) Instrumentation tray cable

kwired

Electron manager
330.112(A) says conductors used in MC cable shall be a type listed in 310.104(A) or of a type identified for use in MC cable.

If of a type listed in 310.104(A) then it should also meet marking requirements and it can be used in other raceway wiring methods as well. A lot of MC cable they I have seen though doesn't have any marking on the conductors and is probably just "a type identified for use in MC cable". I'm pretty sure I have seen on occasion conductors within MC that do have individual markings though.

damiank_1

See 310.11 2008 or 310.120 2011.

310.120 Marking.

(A) Required Information. All conductors and cables
shall be marked to indicate the following information, using
the applicable method described in 310.120(B):
(1) The maximum rated voltage.
(2) The proper type letter or letters for the type of wire or
cable as specified elsewhere in this Code.
(3) The manufacturer?s name, trademark, or other distinctive
marking by which the organization responsible for
the product can be readily identified.
(4) The AWG size or circular mil area.

(B) Method of Marking.
(1) Surface Marking. The following conductors and
cables shall be durably marked on the surface. The AWG
size or circular mil area shall be repeated at intervals not
exceeding 610 mm (24 in.). All other markings shall be
repeated at intervals not exceeding 1.0 m (40 in.).
(1) Single-conductor and multiconductor rubber- and
thermoplastic-insulated wire and cable
(2) Nonmetallic-sheathed cable
(3) Service-entrance cable
(4) Underground feeder and branch-circuit cable
(5) Tray cable
(6) Irrigation cable
(7) Power-limited tray cable
(8) Instrumentation tray cable

With that said does it make these types or change overs illegal?
MC to EMT http://forums.mikeholt.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8081

Smart $

Esteemed Member
330.112(A) says conductors used in MC cable shall be a type listed in 310.104(A) or of a type identified for use in MC cable.

If of a type listed in 310.104(A) then it should also meet marking requirements and it can be used in other raceway wiring methods as well. A lot of MC cable they I have seen though doesn't have any marking on the conductors and is probably just "a type identified for use in MC cable". I'm pretty sure I have seen on occasion conductors within MC that do have individual markings though.
Its just outright reasonable regardless of Code. Any conductor afforded protection by typical cable armor is better protected by EMT. Any opinion to the contrary is %$%@#.

kwired

Electron manager
Its just outright reasonable regardless of Code. Any conductor afforded protection by typical cable armor is better protected by EMT. Any opinion to the contrary is %$%@#.

I will not disagree with that, but will not go any farther than calling it an opinion.

Most will say you can not do same thing with NM cable, strip the sheath and pull through a raceway, yet it seems pretty logical those conductors are usually provided with better physical protection in a raceway than inside NM cable sheath.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I will not disagree with that, but will not go any farther than calling it an opinion.

Most will say you can not do same thing with NM cable, strip the sheath and pull through a raceway, yet it seems pretty logical those conductors are usually provided with better physical protection in a raceway than inside NM cable sheath.
That's all it is. Pure and accurate rationale vs Code, and Code wins... :thumbsdown:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Usually you are beating me down with code, now we are both agreeing on rationale instead of code. Is the world going to end soon?
No!!! ...but if it is, my bucket list is extremely short.

...because I haven't made one yet. :happysad:

Anyway, I believe it's just us getting a glimpse of dispositions beyond this forum and the Code :D

Status
Not open for further replies.