flex connectors used as "bushings"

Status
Not open for further replies.

craff

We are running 24VAC HVAC control cables at a university for push button and horn. Where the cables enter the wall we installed a flex whip to a cut-in handy box (metal tiger-grip). Does the flex require a flex connector at the end where the cable exits the drywall? I say no because a flex connector isn't listed as a bushing. My coworker thinks otherwise but can't find it in the NEC. We have fire caulked both the flex opening and wall penetration.

kwired

Electron manager
Are you talking about flexible metal conduit here? I think the bigger question is whether or not the flex needs some kind of bushing on the end to protect cables/conductors from abrasion. If so you may need a connector even if its only purpose is to have a place to install a bushing. There are bushings on the market to slip on the end of a piece of EMT or RMC but I have not seen one for FMC.

craff

Yes regarding whether or not the end of the flex (FMC) which is outside the drywall needs a flex connector. My observation to my co-worker was that, since a flex connector isn't a listed bushing, then what good does it do? My contention is that there should be no connector, or a connector and a bushing that threads onto the connector. However, cleanly cut FMC without a connector is nice and smooth. And I can't locate anything in the code regarding this. The cables are plenum rated #18 shielded pair and a four conductor of the same cable type.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Since a bushing alone won't stay on the FMC IMO you would need an FMC connector with a bushing to comply with 725.3(J).

725.3(J) Bushing. A bushing shall be installed where cables
emerge from raceway used for mechanical support or
protection in accordance with 300.15(C)..

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
We are running 24VAC HVAC control cables at a university for push button and horn. Where the cables enter the wall we installed a flex whip to a cut-in handy box (metal tiger-grip). Does the flex require a flex connector at the end where the cable exits the drywall?

I'm having a hard time visualizing this too. If you are asking if the flex that sleeves the LV cables needs a bushing at the end where the cables come out of it, the answer is yes. We normally use a box connector suitable for the flex that is threaded for a locknut on the other end (not a Tiger Grip). Install it on the end of the flex, remove the locknut and screw on a bushing.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.