NEC 210.12

Status
Not open for further replies.
We completed a home here in the State of Florida and passed county inspection. The homeowner went to an outside Property Inspector, who went through and has continued to inform the homeowner of the following:

"Two breaker in garage sub panel are GFI, not AFI as required."
"Outlet at se corner of bunk room not AFI protected."

He has referred us to NEC 210.12

It is our understanding that if a circuit is protected by GFCI breaker or receptacle, it does not have to be on arc fault. Are we wrong in our assumption?

ron

GFCI is different protection than AFCI. AFCI is not required everywhere, so check 210.12 and see if those locations are required. I'm not sure what a bunk room is but bedrooms need AFCI.

360Youth

Is this outside inspector an authority having jurisdiction? I have serious issues with ones that are not and would refer the already mentioned code articles. If he/she is, than please disregard my snippiness. :)

jusme123

Occupation
JW
Is this outside inspector an authority having jurisdiction? I have serious issues with ones that are not and would refer the already mentioned code articles. If he/she is, than please disregard my snippiness. :)

What would the issue be? If the homeowner hired an outside home inspector and he found a violation that the county inspector either missed, or just let go because he was friends with the installing electrician, it should be corrected.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
In general it is true that a gfci protected circuit may not need afci but not a fail safe method. Read the article- if the outlets are in the kitchen, laundry, garage , bathroom then you do not need afci.

So where is the circuit that is in question.

Status
Not open for further replies.