120V equipment under a kitchen hood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbpanic

Section 210.8(B)(2) requires all 15 and 20 amps 125V receptacles in nondwelling type kitchens to be GFCI protected. But what if the equipment is under a kitchen hood? Do you install a GFCI or a shunt-trip type breaker?

hurk27

Section 210.8(B)(2) requires all 15 and 20 amps 125V receptacles in nondwelling type kitchens to be GFCI protected. But what if the equipment is under a kitchen hood? Do you install a GFCI or a shunt-trip type breaker?

Welcome to the Forum

Not sure if you are mixing two separate requirements?

While GFCI requirements for all 15 and 20 receptacles in non-dwelling kitchens are required to be GFCI protected, fire codes also require all electric equipment under the hood to be disconnected by the fire protection system as well as gas has to be shut off by the suppression system also.

I mostly use GFCI breakers in commercial kitchens because of all the washing down of everything and receptacle type GFCIs don't hold up very good.

As for the disconnection of all electrical equipment under the hood most fire suppression systems will have a set of contacts in the Ansel system that you can use to drop out a contactor to shut down everything under the hood, or you can use a sub panel and contactor to shut down the sub panel and put all under the hood electrical loads on this sub panel, another way is to use these contacts to shunt trip a back fed main for this sub panel, remember the hood exhaust fan must be kept running when the fire suppression system is activated but make up air has to be shut down so the fire is not fed anymore air.

RICK NAPIER

It may be a small point but only electrical power to sources of heat requiring protection from the suppression sytem has to turn off, 2011NFPA 96 10.4.1 unless local code states otherwise.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
It may be a small point but only electrical power to sources of heat requiring protection from the suppression sytem has to turn off, 2011NFPA 96 10.4.1 unless local code states otherwise.

Rick, that would be true only if said jurisdiction was also not using the IBC, where 904.11.2 requires shut down to the cooking equipment, not just covered equipment. If I had an electric or gas rice cooker, it would have to shut down even though it's not covered equipment.

I had one jurisdiction in NJ that made me shut down the outlet for the wall clock that happened to be under the hood.

iwire

Staff member
Rick, that would be true only if said jurisdiction was also not using the IBC, where 904.11.2 requires shut down to the cooking equipment, not just covered equipment. If I had an electric or gas rice cooker, it would have to shut down even though it's not covered equipment.

I had one jurisdiction in NJ that made me shut down the outlet for the wall clock that happened to be under the hood.

You lost me, you said the IBC requires shutdown of cooking equipment and that you where shot down over a clock?

How does that work?

iwire

Staff member

Both.

Separate requirements and both must be complied with when they apply.

The GFCI requirement has to do with protection of persons, the power shutdown requirements are aimed at reducing the 'heat side' of the fire triangle.

fire_triangle_50.png

kwired

Electron manager
You lost me, you said the IBC requires shutdown of cooking equipment and that you where shot down over a clock?

How does that work?
They use the clock for cooking if they pay attention to it for timing how long something has been cooking:)

Separate requirements and both must be complied with when they apply.

I think that is about as good of an answer as one can get for the question.

kwired

Electron manager
How easy is it to get a breaker with GFCI and shunt trip.

I think shorting neutral to ground has been brought up here before to effectively shunt trip a GFCI.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety

How does that work?

The AHJ took the requirement to mean all electricity under the hood had to be shut down. Some jurisdictions tell you the lights under the hood have to shut down when the suppression system is activated and claim it's based on the same portion of the IBC. They're plain wrong, but there you have it.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Over the years I have had some Fire Marshall personnel require ALL electrical equipment under the hood to be shut off and I have had some require only "heat producing" equipment to be turned off. At times the same Code was in effect just not the same inspector. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

John120/240

Over the years I have had some Fire Marshall personnel require ALL electrical equipment under the hood to be shit off and I have had some require only "heat producing" equipment to be turned off. At times the same Code was in effect just not the same inspector. :D

&%$# key boards, they put the U & I right next to each other.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Opps.. he certainly did...and guess what.. spell check does not catch everything :D Sorry folks...
"wardrobe malfunction"

Status
Not open for further replies.