USB Receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
That does not matter as the definition of outlet in the NEC does not include a switch. The light or equipment that the switch controls would be an outlet.

I disagree. Lights and equipment are not outlets. Outlets are the point on the wiring system that supplies said lights or equipment. Litmus: If you remove the light, are you also removing the outlet? Can you change the light without changing the outlet?

A box in the wall with wires in it is an outlet if it is a point meant to supply current to equipment and wired as such. If the box is wired for a switch, it's not an outlet.

Until maybe now.....

And, since I know you like to make people think........

We now have to pull a neutral into our switch boxes. This is due to motion detectors (equipment)previously using the ground wire as a return. Does that neutral now make switch boxes outlets? Do they change later from a switch box to an outlet if a motion detector is now installed?

We should get used to this kind of brain exercise. More and more stuff will be invented and sold that fuzzes up the rules.

This is why the code needs to truly be considered a BARE MINIMUM and NOT a design standard. Sure, right now, as far as the NEC's definition goes, unless specified otherwise, a USB receptacle and a 120 VAC receptacle can be considered the same and used to satisfy the same requirements.

I am not saying that it is good practice to use the terms interchangably, all I am saying is that the NEC and the UL consider them the same. So far. That may change in the future. But the changes always follow the products. Mostly, anyway.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
If one were to consider a Duplex Receptacle a Single Outlet?
Could he also then consider a Simplex Receptacle Nothing? :)

NO NO NO NO, a thousand times NO!!!!!!!

Receptacles are NOT outlets, and outlets are NOT receptacles. Receptacles come in a small box and you get them at the store. You can put one in your shirt pocket and walk out of the house with it. Outlets are part of the house that (among other things) receptacles fit into. A ceiling box with no receptacle at all is an outlet.

You are to stay after class and write on the board, 100 times, in cursive:

Receptacles are not outlets. Outlets are not receptacles.

:happyno:

Last edited:

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
Another way to think about it is to realize that an outlet is a 'point' i.e. a place or location or area that is used to supply current to equipment. An outlet is not a device.

A receptacle is a device. It is a device meant to be used at an outlet, not as an outlet.

Outlet = place of current supply

Receptacle = device plug fits into. Meant to be connected to the wiring of an outlet.

When I was a new apprentice, I made the mistake of asking a J-man to plug something into an outlet. He said something to the effect of, wouldn't it be easier to just plug it into the receptacle? Of course, I had no idea of what he was talking about, but I can assure you that didn't last long.

Last edited:

jap

Occupation
Electrician
When I was an apprentice I remember asking a J-Man,,,,

"When you get shocked, are'nt you getting shocked with all of the power that the service to the building has to offer since regardless of the size of the breaker ahead of the circuit your getting shocked by it doesnt trip?"

His reply was,

Well the potential is there.

I've come a long way since then.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
i later learned that it has a lot to do with how properly you are grounded as to how bad the result will be.:)

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
Caution should be used when using the term Duplex Receptacle Outlet.

Yep. Especially if the subject concerns the NEC.

Now, you could just ignore the NEC's definition and sound like this:

Duplex receptacle can sometimes be called a duplex outlet. This type of outlet installed in our walls is best for us, since there would be two appliances that can be provided with a power source. Two appliances would be enough for a receptacle. Having a duplex outlet, you would not overuse your power source with too many appliances when you go for more than a duplex outlet. It is ideal to have duplex outlets when a wall is two feet long. In a perimeter, you can place a duplex outlet every 12 feet around. Duplex receptacles can be easily installed. There are many sites in the internet where you can learn how to install duplex outlets by yourself. It would be much better to learn how to install a duplex outlet by yourself, so whenever you would want to make an extra room in your house you don?t need to have someone to come to your house to install it for you.

http://www.duplexreceptacle.org/duplex_outlet.html

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
When I was an apprentice I remember asking a J-Man,,,,

"When you get shocked, are'nt you getting shocked with all of the power that the service to the building has to offer since regardless of the size of the breaker ahead of the circuit your getting shocked by it doesnt trip?"

His reply was,

Well the potential is there.

I've come a long way since then.

Your J-man's reply was great!!

jap

Occupation
Electrician
25 Years later, I was up on a lift running 3" emt and cut my hand on a rough edge, i turned to my apprentice and asked him, hand me that grease rag over there so I can tape it over
this so we can get this done.

He turned pale white and passed out colder than a wedge when he seen it,(What the heck?), I get hurt and he passes out?

After that I decided not to ask my apprentice for medical assistance, just to read my mind and stay 2 steps ahead of what I'm fixing to do.

kwired

Electron manager
Another way to think about it is to realize that an outlet is a 'point' i.e. a place or location or area that is used to supply current to equipment. An outlet is not a device.

A receptacle is a device. It is a device meant to be used at an outlet, not as an outlet.

Outlet = place of current supply

Receptacle = device plug fits into. Meant to be connected to the wiring of an outlet.

When I was a new apprentice, I made the mistake of asking a J-man to plug something into an outlet. He said something to the effect of, wouldn't it be easier to just plug it into the receptacle? Of course, I had no idea of what he was talking about, but I can assure you that didn't last long.

Now what about the USB port and SABC's? You kind of have to read 210.52(B) all the way through as well as other articles mentioned in 210.52(B), but eventually it comes down to SABC's are only to supply "receptacle" outlets, in particular 15 and 20 amp 125 volt rated receptacles and no other outlets.

I don't think it hurts one bit to put one of these devices on a SABC, but if you strictly follow code I don't think you can put one on a SABC as it is currently written.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Interesting that the first time i applied for a free USB I thought I was supposed to get an email. After 2 weeks I figured I must have done something wrong so I signed up again. The next day the first one came and I got a phone call from the company. I told them I filled out the form because I thought i messed up the first one and she said she would look into it. Well the second one showed up today.....I tried to be honest and I am surprised that there is no fail safe for this.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I should complain as the first was White and this one is Light Almond-- don't use that much...............:D

Last edited:

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I was doing donuts in the parking lot on a snow day in High Shool. The principle came out and pulled open my truck door and yelled
"What's your name?" I said Bob, He said Bob Who? I said Bob Jones,,,,,, Later in Automotive class they came over the loud speaker
and said please send "Bob Jones" to the office. Everyone looked around wondering who the heck Bob Jones was until I fessed up and walked to the principles office.

I wished I would have been more honest that day, the outcome would have been a lot better.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.