Equipment grounding conductors in parallel

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I think this change was not made intentionally. There is no technical electrical reason that would not permit the use of EGCs smaller than 1/0 to be installed in parallel.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I think this change was not made intentionally. There is no technical electrical reason that would not permit the use of EGCs smaller than 1/0 to be installed in parallel.
FWIW I think the intentionally omitting the equipment grounding conductor in (H)(1) supports what you are saying. By omitting the words equipment grounding conductor they are saying that the equipment grounding conductor does not have to be 1/0 and larger

Steelhead

Occupation
Industrial Maint/Journeyman
I think it might have been assumed in one of the posts that there might be more than one EGC in each conduit so to clarify.....I have a 400A breaker feeding a 480V panel. The phase conductors are run in parallel, two conduits with (3) 3/0 phase conductors and (1) #3 EGC in each conduit. This is the way (as far as EGCs go) we've always done it. I think the code says this is okay, but like some other things, it's not spelled out plain as day. Make sense?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I think it might have been assumed in one of the posts that there might be more than one EGC in each conduit so to clarify.....I have a 400A breaker feeding a 480V panel. The phase conductors are run in parallel, two conduits with (3) 3/0 phase conductors and (1) #3 EGC in each conduit. This is the way (as far as EGCs go) we've always done it. I think the code says this is okay, but like some other things, it's not spelled out plain as day. Make sense?

A single EGC is all that's required where you have paralleled conductors in a single raceway.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If the raceway is a metal conduit system like emt then the conduit could be the equipment grounding conductor. If the specs call for an equipment grounding conductor then you must install one.

Status
Not open for further replies.