Exposed conductors and color coding

Status
Not open for further replies.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
I have looked in the 2005 NEC and do not see a requirement for color coding the ungrounded conductors on an ungrounded system anything other than black, for both positive and negitive string conductors. Is there a code that requires me to identify them as positive and negitive ( say red and black ) ? Would the existing premises wiring system colored black red and white, require the need for a different coloring code due to differing systems?

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I have looked in the 2005 NEC and do not see a requirement for color coding the ungrounded conductors on an ungrounded system anything other than black, for both positive and negitive string conductors. Is there a code that requires me to identify them as positive and negitive ( say red and black ) ? Would the existing premises wiring system colored black red and white, require the need for a different coloring code due to differing systems?
The only requirement is that you do not use white or gray marking on ungrounded conductors.

Zee

Good Q! search this forum. We have discussed this at least once, there is a great thread or two on it.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
I did a search and did not see much in PV forum ( that wasn't posted today :lol: )
Any links would be appreciated. I like the idea of black conductors for negitive and red conductors for positive on the outputs of the modules and going to the inverters but I don't like the idea of asking people to do what is not in the code. It makes for a better working relationship.

Zee

Black for both ungrounded conductors would be fully code-compliant on an ungrounded system.
Agreed, black and red would be nice, but color actually affects the UV stability of the dye, maybe even the insulation!
I have seen systems with all conductors white. :?
Turns out, half the wires USED TO BE red........they bleached 100%.

(can you get PV wire in anything but black, like red?)

(E) premises wire should not necessitate new colors. If that were the case not a single pv system i installed or have seen would be code compliant. (they were :roll:) All had black and white..... possibly even red years ago.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I don't know about PV wire colors. I've seen USE-2 with a white stripe and I believe I've seen it with a red stripe (that memory is a little fuzzy though).

I think PV wire with a red stripe would be useful. That is to say I would buy it for ungrounded systems. The stripe might degrade overtime, but better to degrade to plain black than for red to degrade to white and look like a grounded conductor. I've seen exactly the same thing Zee has.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
There is a PV wire in red Avalible, I don't have a link but I have seen the cut sheet on it. Thanks again for the input.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Black for both ungrounded conductors would be fully code-compliant on an ungrounded system.
Agreed, black and red would be nice, but color actually affects the UV stability of the dye, maybe even the insulation!
I have seen systems with all conductors white. :?
Turns out, half the wires USED TO BE red........they bleached 100%.
I attended a seminar hosted by John Wiles where he recommended using nothing but black USE-2 and PV wire because the colored wires bleach to white and the insulation becomes brittle after several years' exposure to sunlight.

Status
Not open for further replies.