Sleeving SEU/SER in PVC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it Code to sleeve 4/0 SEU or SER through 2"pvc including an LB on the outside of a house up into the meter pan? On the inside of the house the pvc will have a threaded coupling with a 2 screw squeeze connector. Thank you for any info back.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Se cable is permitted exposed so it is allowed to be sleeved as well. Since SE cable is rated for outdoor then the wet location aspect is not an issue. This is a very commonly done install.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Is it Code to sleeve 4/0 SEU or SER through 2"pvc including an LB on the outside of a house up into the meter pan? On the inside of the house the pvc will have a threaded coupling with a 2 screw squeeze connector. Thank you for any info back.

I would question what size LB you intend to use. I saw a 4/0 SE through 2" - 2 LBs back to back the other day. I'm not even sure how they got them in there...I was afraid to look.:blink:

jumper

I would question what size LB you intend to use. I saw a 4/0 SE through 2" - 2 LBs back to back the other day. I'm not even sure how they got them in there...I was afraid to look.:blink:

imagesqtbnANd9GcQjZWoBGYO7S0TAvqzSjzOqvGIOuAMavTH9VBcwk9NkbTmEOqXA_zps7c63fbdf.jpg

for us we do it when the service is in a "walk way" .. ie row houses, sidewalk, etc ..if i remember they want it 8' high so few feet past the meter, we put the whole way if were doing it.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
In my neck of the woods SE cable isn't an option for an overhead mast - tradition.

In CT I would imagine no sleeve would be required, but that's speculation on my part. I'm interested to hear more about this revelation that you guys sometimes sleeve the SE next to... sidewalks? :blink:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I know, I know...kinda like the speed limit is 65mph and everyone does 75...
Well yeah but think about what possible hazard there would be esp. when an LB is thrown in there. It is not like you can pull the wire out. It is totally safe but as I said before, IMO it is easier just to pipe it all (if possible)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I would use an elbow in lieu of an LB. There is no way that SE cable in an LB can be complaint when enforcing 338.24.

338.24 Bending Radius. Bends in Types USE and SE
cable shall be so made that the cable will not be damaged.
The radius of the curve of the inner edge of any bend,
during or after installation, shall not be less than five times
the diameter of the cable

Sleeving seu/ser in pvc

Sleeving seu/ser in pvc

Thanks for the feed back guys. The SER is running from the panel through the basement but when entering outside it will go through a pvc stub with a 2 screw squeeze connector. The stub goes through to the outside of house then LB up into Meter pan. The SER that runs through pvc will be stripped.

jumper

Thanks for the feed back guys. The SER is running from the panel through the basement but when entering outside it will go through a pvc stub with a 2 screw squeeze connector. The stub goes through to the outside of house then LB up into Meter pan. The SER that runs through pvc will be stripped.

You Have 4/C SER to a meter pan?

Status
Not open for further replies.