Part wind start timing relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I have one that went bad and was quoted $800+freight for a replacement(Cutler Hammer). That seems like an insane price for a simple 480v timing relay? I've looked around and can't find any generic 480v coil timing relays, maybe they have the market cornered? Does anybody have another source for these things? I'll buy the factory replacement if I have too, I was just trying to save the customer some money.

Thanks for the help.

I have one that went bad and was quoted $800+freight for a replacement(Cutler Hammer). That seems like an insane price for a simple 480v timing relay? I've looked around and can't find any generic 480v coil timing relays, maybe they have the market cornered? Does anybody have another source for these things? I'll buy the factory replacement if I have too, I was just trying to save the customer some money.

Thanks for the help.

Maybe better off of buying a 50VA transformer and a 120V timer.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Maybe better off of buying a 50VA transformer and a 120V timer.

The thought has crossed my mind. I'm sure I'd still be under half the price of the quoted timer even with the extra labor to install the transformer. I'm hoping I'll still find a 480v timer just to keep it simple.

Yeah, OLD starters did use full voltage controls.....it seems like that's what he has. The problem may be though that the timer CONTACTS would need to be 480V rated.

Yep. It's an old CH pump panel.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
2 choices:

1) Agastat 7000 series pneumatic timers have 480V coils available and the contacts are rated 600V, it's one of the few. I like them because they have big dials that have the actual number of seconds shown, not some code that has to be interpreted.
WAL29-7022AK-2.jpg
2) Buy anyone's NEMA style Machine Tool Relay and add a timer head to it. MTRs have 600V rated contacts. Allen Bradley 700P relays are an example. Be careful of IEC style versions, many of them may have 600V ratings on the main contacts, but the timed contacts are only 300V rated.
http://www.ab.com/en/epub/catalogs/12768/229240/229266/229661/3087128/229735/Introduction.html

Last edited:
2 choices:

1) Agastat 7000 series pneumatic timers have 480V coils available and the contacts are rated 600V, it's one of the few. I like them because they have big dials that have the actual number of seconds shown, not some code that has to be interpreted.
View attachment 8107
2) Buy anyone's NEMA style Machine Tool Relay and add a timer head to it. MTRs have 600V rated contacts. Allen Bradley 700P relays are an example. Be careful of IEC style versions, many of them may have 600V ratings on the main contacts, but the timed contacts are only 300V rated.
http://www.ab.com/en/epub/catalogs/12768/229240/229266/229661/3087128/229735/Introduction.html

Have you priced those Agastats lately?! I got away from them because the outrageous pricing after Tyco had bought them.

The third option is to buy an AB size 0 contactor with a timer attachment on top.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Have you priced those Agastats lately?! I got away from them because the outrageous pricing after Tyco had bought them.

The third option is to buy an AB size 0 contactor with a timer attachment on top.
No I have not bought an Agastat in a while now. Bad huh? I guess I'm not surprised. They never were inexpensive but once Tyco buys a product line, that tends to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.