MC As An EGC

Status
Not open for further replies.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
MC cable as a 200A feeder. Junction box with a splice about mid run. Does the EGC from the MC cable need to be landed via a lug to the junction box? What if there were 2ea 200A feeders spliced in this junction box. Do both EGC's need to be terminated to the box?

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
MC cable as a 200A feeder. Junction box with a splice about mid run. Does the EGC from the MC cable need to be landed via a lug to the junction box? What if there were 2ea 200A feeders spliced in this junction box. Do both EGC's need to be terminated to the box?

Yes. See 250.148.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Each EGC is not required to be lugged directly to the box... but all must be bonded to the box. In other words, you can splice them all together with a EGC [to box] bonding jumper.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Thanks, that's what I thought but never ran this large MC before and thought there might be some manufacturing differences vs the smaller stuff that would allow the outer jacket to serve as an EGC.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Thanks, that's what I thought but never ran this large MC before and thought there might be some manufacturing differences vs the smaller stuff that would allow the outer jacket to serve as an EGC.

I think, even it the jacket was a listed ground, you would still need to bond the actual equipment grounding conductor, if present, according the quoted Article. It would be the same as an EGC in EMT.

Status
Not open for further replies.