Arc fault breaker on multi-wire branch circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

packerbacker

I have installed a three wire romex feed for receptacles in a finished basement. The inspector now wants them arc-fault protected. The home has a QO panel and Square D doesn't make a two pole arc fault breaker. At least I can't find one. Can I install two single pole arc faults and tail both breakers to the one neutral. The owner wants both circuits, so I don't want to abandon one.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
No you cannot do what you want because it will not work. I believe that GE makes a single pole AFCI breaker that can be used on a MWBC but that doesn't help you much with a Sq d panel.

480sparky

Remove the two circuits and relocate them into a small GE panel that will accept the AFCI breakers that work on MWBCs. Take the open spaces left by the original breakers to feed the subpanel.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
That's one option. Depending on the installation setup I might opt to just run a new 2 wire cable. :)

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Not that this is a great option but, if the previous suggestions are not possible could you get by with one circuit in the basement?

Roger

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I have installed a three wire romex feed for receptacles in a finished basement. The inspector now wants them arc-fault protected. The home has a QO panel and Square D doesn't make a two pole arc fault breaker. At least I can't find one. Can I install two single pole arc faults and tail both breakers to the one neutral. The owner wants both circuits, so I don't want to abandon one.
Does the 3-wire homerun branch out to 2-wire circuits....

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/SectionDisplay.jsp?section=55015&minisite=10251

Status
Not open for further replies.