Another "What the..?" moment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday, I was checking out why some data systems in a computer room weren't coming on. My handy T-Pro said that two of the UPS outlets have only 85 volts (that would be why), but the rest had 122. Hmm... it's a single phase UPS and doesn't have any alarms. Load wiring is all 120v 20a 1-phase from a single phase QO panel with 1p breakers.

Turns out that this UPS can be wired for either 120/240v or 208v single phase output... and 122 + 85 = 207. According to the manual, there's an extra tap on one side of the output transformer to get the 208 output and it seems like the original installer used it. Been like this for a couple of years, and most of the electronics just worked on the low voltage. I can't confirm the actual wiring until a shutdown next week, but I'd put some money on the cause of the problem.

Makes me wonder if whoever did the load wiring even bothered to check their work (or to care about it). I'll be giving it all a good going-over.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
:D
I figure that if I'm going to tell someone else to RTFM, I'd better do it myself. Besides, they can have all kinds of interesting trivia, like the default login password (or show the transformer taps....).

Man, you have no sense of adventure :D.

It's nice to be right :D. The L1 lead was on the wrong terminal (084, not 082). Being only 10" from the floor, it's hard a bit to see when you first pull the cover. All voltages are now where they should be.

BTW, #088 is the neutral, there is white tape on the wire but you can't see it behind the panel.
ups2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.