Generater Inlet Boxes and Weatherproof Requirment

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Would one of these be required to be weatherproof whether or not the attachment plug cap is inserted if installed in a wet location?

851890000089lg.jpg

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
But there not rated raintight when in use, that's the rub...........do they fall under the same requirement as other outside receptacles........

That's the question. :)

Since it's not 15 or 20 amp then 406.9(B)(1) won't apply that sends you to 406.9(B)(2).

406.9(B)(2) Other Receptacles. All other receptacles installed in a
wet location shall comply with (B)(2)(a) or (B)(2)(b).
(a) A receptacle installed in a wet location, where the
product intended to be plugged into it is not attended while
in use, shall have an enclosure that is weatherproof with the
attachment plug cap inserted or removed.
(b) A receptacle installed in a wet location where the
product intended to be plugged into it will be attended
while in use (e.g., portable tools) shall have an enclosure
that is weatherproof when the attachment plug is removed.

Speshulk

That's the question. :)

Since it's not 15 or 20 amp then 406.9(B)(1) won't apply that sends you to 406.9(B)(2).

that is weatherproof when the attachment plug is removed

So is a portable generator a portable tool?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Was recently brought up at my local elec cont meeting. It doesn't require an in-use cover as long as it is twist-lock. Local inspector showed the code section to me....don't have my book handy.

I'm skeptical. :D

Does anyone have a code reference?

peter d

I've noticed that Midwest electrical products makes an in-use generator inlet box. I've seen it at Home Depot but haven't seen it at any supply houses. They usually carry the typical Reliance PB-30.

Was recently brought up at my local elec cont meeting. It doesn't require an in-use cover as long as it is twist-lock. Local inspector showed the code section to me....don't have my book handy.

I'm skeptical. :D

Does anyone have a code reference?

Yeah, went out to the van and got my code book....now I'm skeptical too.

406.9(B)(2) Other Receptacles. All other receptacles installed in a
wet location shall comply with (B)(2)(a) or (B)(2)(b).
(a) A receptacle installed in a wet location, where the
product intended to be plugged into it is not attended while
in use, shall have an enclosure that is weatherproof with the
attachment plug cap inserted or removed.
that is weatherproof when the attachment plug is removed.

From the definitions in Chapter 1:

WEATHERPROOF. Constructed or protected so that exposure to the weather will not interfere with successful operation.

Another gray area?? AHJ call I guess.

The insp. I was talking to at the time was of a mind that a recessed, twist-lock 240 volt receptical / cord end mating would make a connection to satisfy the definition of weatherproof.

Last edited:

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
These units are about $30 more and are w/p while in use. http://www.interlockkit.com/acessories01b.htm .
I don't like using them because (as weird as it may seem) it's difficult for a HO to bend over and plug the cord into

I think a bigger issue might be EC's making up their own power cords that are not w/p molded cased ends like these
http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Century-Wire-&-Cable-D13011025/p3078.html

BTW, would someone please PM me and explain how to post a photo like the PB-30 or a PDF file ?

Thanks

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
An inlet is not a receptacle. I don't see how that code section applies.

I agree 100%.

I thought about that too although it makes little sense because the intention is to prevent water from entering while in use. Is there a definition somewhere that says a receptacle is defined as being female only and would exclude something like in the photo in the OP?

kwired

Electron manager

Beat me to this one, but I think you are right.

I thought about that too although it makes little sense because the intention is to prevent water from entering while in use. Is there a definition somewhere that says a receptacle is defined as being female only and would exclude something like in the photo in the OP?
There is some logic in what you say here. Still don't have me convinced it is a receptacle. Can I just use a pigtail cord instead of the inlet? Now we get into whether the application is acceptable to use flexible cord. If we deem it is acceptable do we need a watertight cord cord connector and cap? I havn't ever seen a cord cap male end that is watertight when not plugged in.

I agree, an inlet is not a receptacle.

We also install a lot of 480v twistlock receptacles for chemigation at pivots. (Those big round circle things you guys see when flying over NE) We install with a standard wp cover on the bottom of a 3R enclosure. Facing down.

I avoid the bottom facing chemigation receptacles. I have replaced more of them that have failed than ones on a vertical surface - even with typical wp only when cover closed covers. Condensation gets them. Worse yet is the guys that install them flush in the bottom of pivot panel. A little dirt buildup (it happens no matter what) and some moisture and a receptacle right in the same area - it will flash over at some point, especially 227/480 or worse yet corner grounded 480(but they have pretty much disappeared in my neck of the woods though) or the high leg of a high leg delta.

iwire

Staff member

Besides that they are shown in catalogs under separate headings I would say the general definition of receptacle is something that you can put something else in.

Definition of RECEPTACLE

: one that receives and contains something : container

[New Latin receptaculum, from Latin]

a : the end of the flower stalk upon which the floral organs are borne

b : a structure or tissue (as of a fungus or fern) bearing spores or sporangia

: a mounted female electrical fitting that contains the live parts of the circuit

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/receptacle

jap

Occupation
Electrician

I agree with this also, an inlet is a plug. The receptacle would be the connector on the attachment cord between the generator and the inlet.
Does the Inlet rate the Connector as Waterproof when Its inserted?

Status
Not open for further replies.