Service to electric stove

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonype

New one for me. Bare grounding conductor for cable to electric stove split out through sheathing and attached to gas pipe before continuing on to stove. Unfortunately, I could not move stove to view in more detail. Was this a "legit" way of doing things at one time? Is it still? DSCF3546.jpg

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
New one for me. Bare grounding conductor for cable to electric stove split out through sheathing and attached to gas pipe before continuing on to stove. Unfortunately, I could not move stove to view in more detail. Was this a "legit" way of doing things at one time? Is it still? View attachment 8117

The 1/2 bushing is also a no- no IFGC 403.10.4

kwired

Electron manager
I'm a little confused at exactly we are looking at in the photo.

Is the concentric bare conductor completely pulled out from under sheath and run to gas pipe? If so how did the range get a neutral and/or equipment ground?

Or did they just pull part of it out to run to gas pipe and run rest to range? Probably still not ever allowed to do.

No matter what I don't believe tape was the way to secure the bond to the pipe if it was necessary to bond to the pipe for any reason.

tonype

Is the concentric bare conductor completely pulled out from under sheath and run to gas pipe? If so how did the range get a neutral and/or equipment ground?

No matter what I don't believe tape was the way to secure the bond to the pipe if it was necessary to bond to the pipe for any reason.

From what I could tell, entire bare conductor was pulled out.

kwired

Electron manager
From what I could tell, entire bare conductor was pulled out.

So this range had no neutral or EGC (assuming three wire circuit which would have been acceptable at one time)? I see that as a bigger problem than anything else that may have went on with this install. Unless there was no 120 volt loads in the range, there would have been 120 volts from frame of the range to anything grounded within reach and people would get shocked when touching both at same time. (Usually there was at least a 120 volt clock on most older ranges that would have made this 120 volt present all the time)

tonype

So this range had no neutral or EGC (assuming three wire circuit which would have been acceptable at one time)? I see that as a bigger problem than anything else that may have went on with this install. Unless there was no 120 volt loads in the range, there would have been 120 volts from frame of the range to anything grounded within reach and people would get shocked when touching both at same time. (Usually there was at least a 120 volt clock on most older ranges that would have made this 120 volt present all the time)

This is a newer (maybe 10 to 15 years) range, with LCD clock.

Status
Not open for further replies.