How to make (build) ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch) ? I want to switch off my genera

Status
Not open for further replies.

danishdeshmuk

How to make (build) ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch) ?

I want to switch off my generator's output power & switch on the electricity (provided by the Govt) when the electricity shortage (outage) is over . Can i make that circuit ?

Also, if i want to completely shut off the generator then can it be done too ?

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor

I want to switch off my generator's output power & switch on the electricity (provided by the Govt) when the electricity shortage (outage) is over . Can i make that circuit ?

The cheapest way I have found is to buy Generac ATS, then add the required relays for on delays and such to work with everybody else's generators. But you need to be fairly good in controls to put it together. The easiest way would to be bite the bullet and buy a Kohler or Asco ATS. Does your generator have an automatic start function? Or is it manual start? If it is manual start, don't waste your money on an automatic switch, just get a manual switch.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
The cheapest way I have found is to buy Generac ATS, then add the required relays for on delays and such to work with everybody else's generators. But you need to be fairly good in controls to put it together. The easiest way would to be bite the bullet and buy a Kohler or Asco ATS. Does your generator have an automatic start function? Or is it manual start? If it is manual start, don't waste your money on an automatic switch, just get a manual switch.

kinda pricey for residential, I think ats in residential setting is waste of money.

hillbilly1

Occupation
kinda pricey for residential, I think ats in residential setting is waste of money.

That's what the OP is wanting though, the problem with the Generac t switches, is there a dumb switch, because the brains are in the generator. Everybody else puts the brains in the transferswitch. Have not heard back from the OP whether this is a manual start generator or automatic. But then that's why the Generac switch is so much cheaper.

kwired

Electron manager

So do I, but if that is what customer wants and is willing to pay for it...

There could be some exceptions like people with disabilities and a need for continued power to help sustain life, but you are on the borderline of being a 1 patient hospital in those cases, and probably do have care providers to some extent that can provide necessary actions during a power failure. Critical devices best have battery backup that will last long enough to find alternate power supply in such cases.

ATSman

ATSman
Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Electrical Testing & Controls

It does not sound like you are qualified to take on such a task and this could be a life safety issue or cause property damage.
I am amazed that this post is not shut down :?
Please contact a professional.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
how about a 2 pole double throw contactor with 120 volt coil??? I have done this 3 times in houses and it works fine...( with out permit)
I did something similiar, ran into problem with short cycling as utility was coming back on line, added time delay relay, but utility power next time came back briefly back off back on to quick for time delay to finish so it never transfered back, finally just bought ATS with all controls and time delays built in.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
It does not sound like you are qualified to take on such a task and this could be a life safety issue or cause property damage.

This guy has started several other threads that make me wonder as well.

OTOH, we all started out knowing very little about much of anything.

Besoeker

I have to say I've had the same thoughts on this and from posts on other threads by the same author.

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer

Depends on how fast the generator starts. If someone has already invested $$$'s in a generator that starts fast enough to make a difference, spending more $$$'s on a good ATS is just a matter of more $$$'s. But if they have a generator that has to be started by hand, and the power outages last minutes and not hours, an ATS is a waste of $$$'s.

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer
I have to say I've had the same thoughts on this and from posts on other threads by the same author.

His profile says he's a newbie engineer in India, and this post sounds very much like a newbie engineer in India.

I have a client who's a newbie engineer in Yet Another Country with bad power. The questions he sends me aren't any better ...

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
...I want to switch off my generator's output power & switch on the electricity (provided by the Govt) when the electricity shortage (outage) is over . ...

danish -
What is the generator nameplate data? Voltage, frequency, phases, Full load amps, KVA, power factor? This really matters.

Yes you can build any of this stuff? It can't be any worse than the Generac Genk. But it may cost you more to build it than to by. But if your motive to learn - that is worth something as well.

ice

danishdeshmuk

I did something similiar, ran into problem with short cycling as utility was coming back on line, added time delay relay, but utility power next time came back briefly back off back on to quick for time delay to finish so it never transfered back, finally just bought ATS with all controls and time delays built in.

So which one is the best option to achieve the ATS for portable home generator ?

How to do that ?

OR is it merely impossible ?

thanks

danishdeshmuk

danish -
What is the generator nameplate data? Voltage, frequency, phases, Full load amps, KVA, power factor? This really matters.

Yes you can build any of this stuff? It can't be any worse than the Generac Genk. But it may cost you more to build it than to by. But if your motive to learn - that is worth something as well.

ice

Voltage : 220 V single phase
Phases : Single Phase
Frequency : 50 Hz
KVA : Peak Power 2800 Watt and Rated Power 2500 Watt
Power Factor : 0.85

thanks

gar

Occupation
EE
130302-1456 EST

Note: the person asking the question is in India, and I believe they have severe power problems.

It seems that more information is needed and then it may be possible to help him. Money to buy a commercial unit, not made in India, may be a problem. There may be very high import duties. Also it is possible he wants to learn more and create a product to make in his country.

hillbilly1

Occupation
130302-1456 EST

Note: the person asking the question is in India, and I believe they have severe power problems.

It seems that more information is needed and then it may be possible to help him. Money to buy a commercial unit, not made in India, may be a problem. There may be very high import duties. Also it is possible he wants to learn more and create a product to make in his country.

Yeah, we are spoiled with the reliability of our system. I had a customer who wanted a UPS unit large enough to run his house in the Cayman Islands due to the constant brown and blackouts. The power fluctuated so much everyday, that a generator was not feasible.

Status
Not open for further replies.