pvc terminal adapters with metal lock nut

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I don't think that there is any question that a locknut is "equipment" per the Article 100 definition. I cited 250.4(A)(2) and not (A)(3) because (A)(2) does not contain the "likely to be energized" wording. (A)(2) applies to all "equipment".

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
I don't think that there is any question that a locknut is "equipment" per the Article 100 definition. I cited 250.4(A)(2) and not (A)(3) because (A)(2) does not contain the "likely to be energized" wording. (A)(2) applies to all "equipment".

I would stretch to say that the nut would encircle the conductors but not enclose them.

kwired

Electron manager
How about the last sentence in 110.12(A)

Where metallic plugs or plates are used with nonmetallic enclosures, they shall be recessed at least 6 mm (? in.) from the outer surface of the enclosure.

Doesn't mention grounding, not really sure why they want the 1/4in. recess. This is more likely to be something people will come into contact with than a locknut inside the enclosure.

mnn1980

from a distance.

from a distance.

I see there is a bunch of ways to look at this issue.would I be out of line to kindly say this issue could be consider minor in the grand scope of project,?has this issue caused enough or any problems in previous years to earn a direct code to prevent metal lock nuts from being used on pvc ta.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Yes, But I was reading in the 250.4 sections for "Locknuts on a Non-Metallic system to be bonded"..could find it thats why I asked if it was a code change in 2011 but i was not even sure if don was quoting from 2011..
My quote was from 2011, but there was no change in that section from the 2008.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
An inspector who calls one on this issue really has too much time on his hands or is just looking to throw his power around. In either case not a good inspector. This type of actions will usally just piss of the electricianst leaving them with apathy of the inspection process and not correct other gross errors.

If this is such a problem the industry would have created products to alleviate the issue.

Heck you have really neat cut in boxes that have screws from the inside so that you don't violate listing or the contact with live parts issues. Non of my supply houses stock them. The HD sells them online but they are always on BO.

We need to pick on things that are really problems.

thanks for the place to rant.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I'm am so fortunate I don't have to put up with these kinds of inspectors. The ones I deal with know how to pick their battles for the most part.

mnn1980

final words

final words

Thanks everyone for the input.all the points I've been arguing, other people have same opinion.This whole job has been under the microscope.

Sharpie

We should also consider which conductors are going through the PVC. If it is feeders and branch circuits, it's one thing (All current carrying conductors going through the same pipe). If it's the gounding electrode conductor, that's another story. Then any point it passes through a metal fitting or part, that fitting/part must be bonded to gound. Sorry, I didn't look up a code to cite.

Status
Not open for further replies.