Tricky conduit run

Status
Not open for further replies.

3phaseninja

I have to get a 200-amp panel from the basement to the roof/third floor of a night club for the new deck bar under construction. The easiest route for the conduit is straight up the side of the building. My question is are there any restrictions on what type of conduit I can use for the 30' section that will be outdoors. I'd like to keep everything in EMT and I know that emt is used outdoors all the time in smaller applications so Im just not sure. The reason I'm trying to avoid rigid is because Im having a hard time finding the right LB to change from rigid to EMT where it penetrates the wall into the basement, and where it penetrates the wall to the third floor. Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It depends if there are local amendments but the NEC is fine with EMT outside. Make sure you use emt connectors and couplings that at raintite because many ec's use compression style connectors and often they are not RT.

For the LB just use a threaded LB and install an emt connector on one end.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Was there not some discussion about EMT connectors in hubs not being rated for outdoor use, something on that line.

3phaseninja

It depends if there are local amendments but the NEC is fine with EMT outside. Make sure you use emt connectors and couplings that at raintite because many ec's use compression style connectors and often they are not RT.

For the LB just use a threaded LB and install an emt connector on one end.

Unrelated question, if I have 2 - 100A circuits in 2 separate conduits feeding 2 subpanels, can I bring both conduits into one panel and pass one set of feeders through to the other panel as long as there is no splice inside 1st panel?

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
The reason I'm trying to avoid rigid is because Im having a hard time finding the right LB to change from rigid to EMT where it penetrates the wall into the basement, and where it penetrates the wall to the third floor.

What does that mean?

You can use any kind of LB you want(other than pvc obviously), Form 7 or potmetal, it doesn't matter. You DO need to watch fill, it is very common to go up one or two sizes above your raceway size to meet fill requirements. I prefer the mogul LB's with the longer throat and rollers to help tuck the wire in. I can't use them everytime, but when I can, I do.

http://www.platt.com/CutSheets/Appleton/conduit bodies2.pdf

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Was there not some discussion about EMT connectors in hubs not being rated for outdoor use, something on that line.

Yes but I don't see a hub being used.

The conduit connection portion of all conduit bodies is a hub.
Follow up...

They do make combination conduit bodies that are listed for raintight compression connectors.

Bridgeport's as an example:

http://www.bptfittings.com/catalog/CatalogFamily.aspx?CategoryId=33&FamilyId=347

kwired

Electron manager
If straight threaded fittings in the conduit body hub are an issue, you can always use a pull box instead of a conduit body.

I'm not convinced there is a problem with using straight threads in a hub, but do understand the logic that is presented against it.

We have opened up an issue the OP maybe wasn't expecting here.

My opinion of using EMT (outside of the issue of connectors) is it depends on what potential physical damage may be expected. If that risk is minimal go for it. Is there vehicular traffic frequently near where it will run? If not there probably is not too much physical damage to be expected.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
If straight threaded fittings in the conduit body hub are an issue, you can always use a pull box instead of a conduit body.

I'm not convinced there is a problem with using straight threads in a hub, but do understand the logic that is presented against it.

We have opened up an issue the OP maybe wasn't expecting here.

My opinion of using EMT (outside of the issue of connectors) is it depends on what potential physical damage may be expected. If that risk is minimal go for it. Is there vehicular traffic frequently near where it will run? If not there probably is not too much physical damage to be expected.

I've been installing EMT fittings in LB's for well over 25 years. The people I worked for had been doing it for 20 years prior. I am astounded that this type of use may be wrong and no alternative part has been manufactured.

kwired

Electron manager
I've been installing EMT fittings in LB's for well over 25 years. The people I worked for had been doing it for 20 years prior. I am astounded that this type of use may be wrong and no alternative part has been manufactured.

Pretty much same here, but wanted to point out there are ways around it if you have inspectors that reject that.

I think the fact that hardly anybody does prohibit using them that way has kept the demand for something that is an alternative from being developed and/or being readily available if there is such alternative. But if such items were made, the manufacturers would get the word out, nothing like having a code to help be your marketing partner.

Status
Not open for further replies.