motor benchmarking

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjmike

I am trying to develope a maintenance program for electric motors. The fist is benchmarking a new motor. This would include things such as resistance tests, thermal testes, etc. Does anybody know where literature on this can be found or does anybody know what tests to perform to do a benchmark. Additionally, what should the schedule be to check motors once benchmarked?

mjmike

I was able to view the ANSI ATS document (couldn't find a copy of the MTS document). Half those tests I have never heard of nor have I seen an electrician actually perform all those tests. I was thinking more along the lines of essential tests such as resistance of electrical connection at motor, amperage at full load, and using a temp gun to check the motor temperatures at the bearings (not a thermal imaging heat gun). I think those would be the basic motor tests to do periodically, would it not be?

zog

I was able to view the ANSI ATS document (couldn't find a copy of the MTS document). Half those tests I have never heard of nor have I seen an electrician actually perform all those tests. I was thinking more along the lines of essential tests such as resistance of electrical connection at motor, amperage at full load, and using a temp gun to check the motor temperatures at the bearings (not a thermal imaging heat gun). I think those would be the basic motor tests to do periodically, would it not be?

No, the NETA ATS is an ANSi standard and you will find all the same tests in any IEEE standard for motors as well. Those are the basic tests and are the ones used by most companies preventitive maintenence programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.