AFCI for closet

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDB3

210.12 requires AFCI protection for outlets (among other places) in closets. If there is a switch outside of the closet (in this case a bathroom) that controls a light fixture in the closet, IS an AFCI then required? :?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Yes, the switch in 2011 does not need to be on an afci but the light does. I believe the switch will be included in the 2014 NEC. As it stands now you can have a switch in a bedroom controlling an outdoor flood and it would not need afci protection

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
210.12 requires AFCI protection for outlets (among other places) in closets. If there is a switch outside of the closet (in this case a bathroom) that controls a light fixture in the closet, IS an AFCI then required? :?

Where is the closet located?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
The NEC in art 210.12 states closets... It does not exempt a closet off the bathroom. I don't really see the difference if the closet is off the bedroom or off the bathroom. An ahj may exempt it but IMO it should be afci protected.

Now a linen closet in a bathroom may be exempt and of course generally does not have a light but if it did I expect it would be okay but a clothes closet I think will be required by most.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If it's a closet it requires AFCI protection even if it's completely within a room that does not require AFC protection like a bathroom.

210.12 Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection.
(A) Dwelling Units. All 120-volt, single phase, 15- and
20-ampere branch circuits supplying outlets installed in
dwelling unit family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms,
parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, recreation
rooms, closets, hallways, or similar rooms or areas shall
be protected by a listed arc-fault circuit interrupter,
combination-type, installed to provide protection of the
branch circuit.

kwired

Electron manager
The NEC in art 210.12 states closets... It does not exempt a closet off the bathroom. I don't really see the difference if the closet is off the bedroom or off the bathroom. An ahj may exempt it but IMO it should be afci protected.

Now a linen closet in a bathroom may be exempt and of course generally does not have a light but if it did I expect it would be okay but a clothes closet I think will be required by most.

Does the inspector come back frequently to ensure that occupants only use it as a linen closet and never place any clothes in it?:)

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
What if the plans had stated "Linen Space", ...would AFCI protection
be required then, [ by the letter, not the intent of the Article ]?
When you read 210.12(A), after the list of names of rooms you will note the added words "or similar rooms or areas". In my opinion, that broad language sidesteps name changes like "linen closet" to linen space or linen area.

John120/240

Where ever this closet is located, off the bath room, in the bed room or living room/family room, the sensible thing to do is to tie it on with the adjacent room IMO. I can not see running clear across the house to pick up a non Arc Fault circuit.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
= = =

What if the plans had stated "Line Space", ...would AFCI protection
be required then, [ by the letter, not the intent of the Article ]? :cool:

= = =

I honestly don't think many inspectors would call you on it if the linen closet is in the bathroom however by code I believe it is not exempt. BTW, I have never seen a linen closet with a light in all my years (35+).

Status
Not open for further replies.