circuit Breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tibz78

Lighting was changed out in a gym to T8 high bay fixtures, the old lighting was MH 480 volts.
The gentlemen who did the work kept the old 2 pole breakers and just used one side.
I thought you couldn't do that? You should change the breakers out to a single pole breaker and also run the proper color conductor for the grounded conductor?
is there a code article that states that you must use a single pole cb for this application.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
It is absolutely allowed by NEC and Listing agencies to use only 1-pole of a 2-pole breaker.
All circuits breakers are designed and tested using all combinations of poles.

Tibz78

These are the other issues, please correct me if I'm wrong. Article 200 covers use and identification of grounded conductors. In 200.6 A states that conductors #6 or smaller must be marked with a continuous white or gray outer finish. On 277/480 the color standard is a gray finish. Article 240.83 D, Is Breakers used as switches and what the requirements are CB's should be labeled SWD. 210.21 A Restricts the branch circuit rating to 20 amps for fluorescent lighting. 2013-02-21_13-31-54_566.jpg

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I think you definitely have a violation of 200.6, 210.21 could be addressed with supplemental over-current at the fixture.
Jim would probably know off the top of his head, but I would imagine the breakers might be SWD.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I think you definitely have a violation of 200.6, 210.21 could be addressed with supplemental over-current at the fixture.
Jim would probably know off the top of his head, but I would imagine the breakers might be SWD.
Technically SWD applies only to 15A and 20A 1-pole devices (think wall switches).

Because they are 2-pole, these may be HID rated (which also provides for switching duty).

Status
Not open for further replies.