Residential service panel locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

Is a residential service panel allowed to be installed in a kitchen? The location I have in question is on an exterior wall with no counter space in front of it. I know that bathrooms are not allowable, but something is sticking in my head from a past job regarding a kitchen. Thanks.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
As long as you can meet the requirements of 110.26 and other applicable Articles, I know of nothing to prevent it,'On many jobs I inspect finding wall space that does not put you in violation of 110.26 poses a problem.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
As long as you can meet the requirements of 110.26 and other applicable Articles, I know of nothing to prevent it,'On many jobs I inspect finding wall space that does not put you in violation of 110.26 poses a problem.

Just for "what ifs", what if you are doing a panel swap or upgrade?

If an existing panel is installed in a kitchen over the cabinets, (above the lower cabinets and below the upper cabinets) and you are to replace the panel, would you require the new panel to meet the 110.26 clearances?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Just for "what ifs", what if you are doing a panel swap or upgrade?

If an existing panel is installed in a kitchen over the cabinets, (above the lower cabinets and below the upper cabinets) and you are to replace the panel, would you require the new panel to meet the 110.26 clearances?

Almost a poll question :D
I would say by letter of the law, your replacement panel would need to meet 110.26.
I have seen, and approved*, replacement panels in areas that did not meet current Code.
( *elderly folks on fixed income, old fuse panel finally gives out, no other place to put the new panel without major expense...what do you do ??? )

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Almost a poll question :D
I would say by letter of the law, your replacement panel would need to meet 110.26.
I have seen, and approved*, replacement panels in areas that did not meet current Code.
( *elderly folks on fixed income, old fuse panel finally gives out, no other place to put the new panel without major expense...what do you do ??? )

I just did one about a year ago that was in a kitchen between the upper and lower cabinets, right next to the sink.:eek:

It was in an old house built in 1920 or around that time.
Inspector wasn't thrilled with it but let it go since it would have been a major pain to have moved it, and really no place to move it to.

Status
Not open for further replies.