Arc Fault Outlets

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I am curious as to the proposed usage. As replacements the NEC requirement does not come into effect until 2014, as primary devices the 250.118 ground requirement noted in 210.,12 fro other than circuit extensions comes into play making the use a bit awkward

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I am curious as to the proposed usage. As replacements the NEC requirement does not come into effect until 2014, . . .
While 406.4(D)(4) isn't in effect yet, 210.12(B) is.

The OBC (Outlet Branch Circuit) AFCI is a game changer for work on existing branch circuits where new outlets are added, especially when the branch circuit overcurrent protection is provided by a fuse, or the branch circuit is a multiwire.

The OBC AFCI permits a much lower cost solution for the requirement that new outlets on existing branch circuits in areas covered in 210.12 be provided AFCI protection.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
agree. I just don't see that many "exrensions" to existing branch circuits, but TN State rules only require AFCI on bedroom circuits.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
agree. I just don't see that many "exrensions" to existing branch circuits, but TN State rules only require AFCI on bedroom circuits.
Ahh. With all the areas of a dwelling listed in the 2011 NEC 210.12 enforced here in Minnesota, the possibility to use the OBC AFCI is more frequent.

Status
Not open for further replies.