first arc flash study

Status
Not open for further replies.

malachi constant

Hi all,

I'm an engineer about to submit a quote for my first (kind of) arc flash study. (Ten years ago when I was a few years out of school I entered the SKM data in a study for another engineer, so it's not a completely foreign endeavor for me.) I know SKM fairly well having used it for ten years to do fault calcs. I've been reading some good articles on EC&M and browsing the comments here, I think I have a pretty good idea of what needs to be done - a "humble but confident" attitude. I'm also about to purchase the IEEE-sponsored book on ARC Flash Hazard Analysis and Mitigation to help fill in any knowledge gaps once I get going.

The study is commissioned by a local school district that wants arc flash calculations done for service switchgear only on each school in the district - a little over a dozen buildings. We (or the district) will hire a contractor to do the field investigation. I'm trying to figure out our engineering fees for this (not the contractor fees). I figure I will need to:
1. Collect or set up drawings to identify each building's service and transformer locations.
2. Visit each site, however briefly, to see each service with my own eyes and look for any red flags. (Contractor will be collecting most of the data on their own without me looking over their shoulder.)
3. Coordinate with utilities to get fault and impedance data. (I believe there are two utilities that serve this district.)
4. For each building: set up the SKM files, create simplified one-lines, run short circuit studies, run multiple-scenario arc flash studies, read through data, etc etc etc
5. Write report, make recommendations, print labels, etc.
6. A couple misc meetings.

So...for an mile-high overview of what needs to be done on my end, does this look about right? More important question, does anyone have a good feel for engineering time per facility for something like this (keeping in mind study is for "service gear only"). My first pass put me at 8 hours per facility to do all that, which seems low -- I'm thinking it might be double that (or more). For comparison, if I was doing the short circuit study, which I have down to a science, I could crank it out in about 2-3 hours per facility easy (service only, going off drawings and utility data - might take a day if I was doing a whole good-sized school, not just the service). I don't mind if we lose a little money getting up to speed on arc flash but want to have fees that are reflective of the typical amount of work involved.

A follow-up question would be what do you think the contractor's fees would be relative to the engineer's? We don't have those yet, and probably won't until our fees are set, but wondering if 50/50 is about right, or is one party spending a lot more time than the other?

I should add I worked as an electrician's apprentice in the past, have attended arc flash safety classes, read Donnie's Story, and have an uncle that got on the wrong side of a fault twenty years ago (and survived after a long hospital stay). I appreciate the danger, and even more so appreciate the human beings who are faced with the danger on a daily basis. I hope I take this stuff sufficiently seriously so as to not cost anyone their lives or health.

Any comments are appreciated!! Thanks and have a good weekend!!

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Great, another local competitor.:eek:hmy:

Seriously, I find that data collection for these type of products can be 2-3 times the engineering effort. How that relates to cost is dependent on the hourly charges and who is doing what work.You will not get information on 480V services from the local utilities. They will provide typical values, so you will need to make some assumptions.

If they only want to study the service equipment, they should save their money and just buy some labels that say >40 cal/cm?.

jdsmith

Keep in mind that the arc flash study is based upon having an accurate short circuit study to start with, including both the utility contribution and downstream motor contribution. If you are only tasked with providing arc flash labels on the service entrance gear, you should still collect enough data and model the required parts of the system to accurately determine the short circuit contribution from downstream motors. Or as Jim said, do a bit of investigation to see if any portion of the gear is under 40 cal depending on if it is compartmentalized, then label is as greater than 40 cal.

The interesting twist here is that by only labeling part of the system the owner is opening themselves up to an OSHA willful negligence citation because they recognized that an arc flash study is required and hired you to perform part of it, but they did not have you study the system to the extents specified in 70E and 1584. You may want to provide the school district with a brief overview of 70E and 1584 requirements and explain how the decision to perform a partial study could affect their liability, not to mention your liability. If cost is a concern having a documented plan to perform a complete arc flash study on two buildings per year is better than knowingly performing an incomplete study on all of them at one time.

As far as the cost, my company usually does not perform data collection, but on a brownfield site with limited documentation the cost can be substantial and Jim's guidance seems very reasonable.

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
Last edited:

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I know you are not serious here, but some do that. To me the most important part of the arc lfash study is mitigation.

I agree with mitigation, it is too bad others focus on PPE.

But I was serious about the labeling, an extremely limited study can be worse than nothing.

This is a school district, they are probably just doing this study to 'feel good'. The service equipment is unlikely to be ANSI gear. Mitigation with molded case breakers and LV fuses at service entrances is costly. It is unlikely they will do anything to mitigate the conditions.

zog

This is a school district, they are probably just doing this study to 'feel good'. The service equipment is unlikely to be ANSI gear. Mitigation with molded case breakers and LV fuses at service entrances is costly. It is unlikely they will do anything to mitigate the conditions.

Yeah, sadly I think you are right, could be worse and be a hospital.

zog

Would this be the IEEE sponsored book?

I ordered this one. But I don't know if there was any better out there. ARC Flash Hazard Analysis and Mitigation (IEEE Press Series on Power Engineering) by J. C. Das (Oct 16, 2012)

ice

I am unaware of IEEE sponsoring either one. I do know Jim is on the IEEE 1584 commitee and knows his stuff. Plus I was a contributor so it has to be good right? :)

I am unaware of IEEE sponsoring either one. I do know Jim is on the IEEE 1584 commitee and knows his stuff. Plus I was a contributor so it has to be good right? :)

A recurring theme on the 1584 meetings is the subject of how many factual challenges there are to the already established rules and that experiments seem to show that actual fault values are significantly less - and in some cases higher - than the currently used calculation results.

Just for one the Eaton MCCB experiment that is more than 5 years old.

malachi constant

Would this be the IEEE sponsored book?

I ordered this one. But I don't know if there was any better out there. ARC Flash Hazard Analysis and Mitigation (IEEE Press Series on Power Engineering) by J. C. Das (Oct 16, 2012)

ice

ice-- yes, that is the one I was looking at (link below). I guess I don't know if it is IEEE sponsored, but as you pointed out it says "IEEE Press Series on Power Engineering". The Jim Phillips looks good and is $25 cheaper, I suppose I'll have to flip a coin.

http://www.amazon.com/Hazard-Analys...ords=arc+flash+hazard+analysis+and+mitigation

Thanks for the advice gentlemen.

Status
Not open for further replies.