Whip to Bath Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Here is what I have found so far:

210.19(A)(4)(c)

(4) Other Loads. Branch-circuit conductors that supply loads other than those specified in 210.2 and other than cooking appliances as covered in210.19(A)(3) shall have an ampacity sufficient for the loads served and shall not be smaller than 14 AWG.

Exception No. 1: Tap conductors shall have an ampacity sufficient for the load served. In addition, they shall have an ampacity of not less than 15 for circuits rated less than 40 amperes and not less than 20 for circuits rated at 40 or 50 amperes and only where these tap conductors supply any of the following loads:

(a)
spacer.gif
Individual lampholders or luminaires with taps extending not longer than 450 mm (18 in.) beyond any portion of the lampholder or luminaire.

(b)
spacer.gif
A luminaire having tap conductors as provided in 410.117.

(c)
spacer.gif
Individual outlets, other than receptacle outlets, with taps not over 450 mm (18 in.) long.

(d)
spacer.gif
Infrared lamp industrial heating appliances.

(e)
spacer.gif
Nonheating leads of deicing and snow-melting cables and mats.

Exception No. 2: Fixture wires and flexible cords shall be permitted to be smaller than 14 AWG as permitted by 240.5.

keep the tap to 18 inches or less - which will mean no 6 foot whips.

sparkyrick

Good point, but I think he is asking about just reduced conductors in a short section of raceway from a junction box to a bath fan or luminaire like is commonly seen in suspended ceilings.

Correct. Fixture whips to a single luminaire are typically #14 conductors on a 20 amp lighting circuit. I was wondering is their was something in the code that allows a reduced conductor to a single motor, such as a bath fan. Or would a bath fan be considered an appliance?

kwired

Electron manager
Correct. Fixture whips to a single luminaire are typically #14 conductors on a 20 amp lighting circuit. I was wondering is their was something in the code that allows a reduced conductor to a single motor, such as a bath fan. Or would a bath fan be considered an appliance?

But I think a bath fan is an appliance and cannot be considered an outlet.

Appliance? Maybe.

Utilization equipment - definitely.

Luminaire - no, but if the unit contains a light it gets a little more clouded.

Outlet. If it uses power there is an outlet involved somewhere and does not have to be a cord and plug as many misunderstand - see art 100 definition of outlet.

Status
Not open for further replies.