MC stripped out

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireday

Occupation
Master electrician
Hello, I have up coming job that will be a run of mc to a receptacle, on the panel end there is two 1.25 inch EMT risers out of the panel up to a small wire trough.would it be best to run thhn stranded up from the panel and junction in the trough or strip out the mc and loop it from the trough down to the panel? I thank you for any thoughts on this. Al

kwired

Electron manager
Hello, I have up coming job that will be a run of mc to a receptacle, on the panel end there is two 1.25 inch EMT risers out of the panel up to a small wire trough.would it be best to run thhn stranded up from the panel and junction in the trough or strip out the mc and loop it from the trough down to the panel? I thank you for any thoughts on this. Al

Technically you can't do your second suggestion unless the conductors within the cable are marked as required by 310.11.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Technically you can't do your second suggestion unless the conductors within the cable are marked as required by 310.11.

I would agree, but as a practical matter I would not have an issue with it. We all know that MC is really THHN. This goes back to the discussion the other day about why they make MC to emt connectors.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I know this seems to be the consensus... but what is the rationale? Change in wiring method?

Technically, if the MC were not properly marked, you wouldn't be able to use the MC... according to that same section.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Some MC does contain individually marked conductors. If you really want to comply make sure you buy the right stuff. Here's some that we used on a recent job:

Rob's+Work+044.JPG

Rob%27s%2BWork%2B045.JPG

kwired

Electron manager
I know this seems to be the consensus... but what is the rationale? Change in wiring method?

Technically, if the MC were not properly marked, you wouldn't be able to use the MC... according to that same section.

310.11(B)(2) says " Metal-covered multiconductor cables shall employ a marker tape located within the cable and running for its complete length"
I have never seen MC cable that did not have a marker tape.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
All the inspectors here will allow you to strip MC and run it into conduit.

They do however require you to use the proper connector if using EMT.

Or leave enough jacket on the MC if running into PVC to protect the wires from abrasions.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
310.11(B)(2) says " Metal-covered multiconductor cables shall employ a marker tape located within the cable and running for its complete length"

There is no 310.11.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
As such, the "marking" is compliant. It does not have to be on the individual conductors. There is no rule that says the exposed conductors must be "marking" compliant for extension into other wiring methods.

kwired

Electron manager
310.11 in 2008 NEC got moved to 310.120 in 2011 NEC
Oops. I was looking through earlier editions for a response to another thread, did not realize I was not on 2011 when I looked this one up. Quote I gave was actually from 2005. NEC plus gives you quick access to 2002 through 2011 editions.

rt66electric

What do ypu have on the truck??

What do ypu have on the truck??

Either method would be fine . I would go with what I had on the truck. I have often stripped out the outer sheath on MC cable and then stick it in "whatever" conduit, for the simple reason, It was easier/cheaper than a trip to the store.

I worked as a sub-contact employee for a large high tech corp, ( i made more hooking up 3Phase 208 to the equipment than the over-educated techs). The maint-mgr(whom I respected ) walked by as I was fighting a $0.79 part to function. 15min later he walked back . He stopped as I was still reworking the connector, And said " Look I pay your boss $60/hr thats $1 a minute... DO NOT take 15min to jack with a $2 part"

At that point ..... I GOT IT. Do not let a dime hold up a dollar.....

My point is get the job done. there will always be another as soon as you are done, If not take a break and rest up.

I would agree, but as a practical matter I would not have an issue with it. We all know that MC is really THHN. This goes back to the discussion the other day about why they make MC to emt connectors.

Do they make MC to EMT connectors? I have never seen one. The common two screw combination clamp to 1/2 EMT connectors are described on the box as NM to EMT. I have never researched what they are listed for....

Status
Not open for further replies.