Cost to provide temp generator during planned utility outage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

malachi constant

208V/3p/4w 1600A service. Approximate load of 100kW, they could shed as necessary to get through the day. Would open up the main switchgear and attach straight to the lugs.

I'm not providing all the details, but have asked around and believe this is legal. I thought I could get a cost out of Means but evidently not. Looking for a very ballpark estimate - this is for a preliminary study of various options, not a bid, not a detailed construction estimate. Thanks!

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
208V/3p/4w 1600A service. Approximate load of 100kW, they could shed as necessary to get through the day. Would open up the main switchgear and attach straight to the lugs.

I'm not providing all the details, but have asked around and believe this is legal. I thought I could get a cost out of Means but evidently not. Looking for a very ballpark estimate - this is for a preliminary study of various options, not a bid, not a detailed construction estimate. Thanks!

I think it is code wise OK.

you should not have a lot of trouble figuring out what it will cost to rent the generator. A lot of places rent generators. You can probably get one for $500 for a day including delivery and pickup.

fuel wise, 100kw is roughly 10 therms per hour after the efficiency of the generator is taken into consideration.

you should be able to fiind out what your customer pays for natural gas and go from there.

100 kW seems like a lot of load shedding to be doing on a 1600A 208V service.

don't forget the cost of the plumber to come out and hook it up and disconnect it afterward.

Last edited:

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........

2008 NEC: 702.6 exception
Makes it a legal hookup.
Iwire's company has done it several times.

John120/240

I think it is code wise OK.

you should not have a lot of trouble figuring out what it will cost to rent the generator. A lot of places rent generators. You can probably get one for $500 for a day including delivery and pickup.

fuel wise, 100kw is roughly 10 therms per hour after the efficiency of the generator is taken into consideration.

you should be able to fiind out what your customer pays for natural gas and go from there.

100 kW seems like a lot of load shedding to be doing on a 1600A 208V service.

don't forget the cost of the plumber to come out and hook it up and disconnect it afterward.

malachi states it is a planned one day outage. So petersona what would be the benefit of using a natural gas unit ? If a diesel unit was used there is no need for a plumber to connect the natural gas.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
malachi states it is a planned one day outage. So petersona what would be the benefit of using a natural gas unit ? If a diesel unit was used there is no need for a plumber to connect the natural gas.

A diesel generator requires a source of diesel. At full load you are looking at close to 10 gpm. might well need a tanker with the generator.

you might have to get a special permit to use a diesel generator for emissions.

you might also have to do something to prevent spillage of diesel, like some kind of temporary dike.

NG is much simpler if it is readily available.

iwire

Staff member
A diesel generator requires a source of diesel. At full load you are looking at close to 10 gpm. might well need a tanker with the generator.

you might also have to do something to prevent spillage of diesel, like some kind of temporary dike.

OK, if you are using a diesel that is taking 10 GPM (and it won't at the load the OP is talking about) how many cubic feet of gas per minute would it need and do you think the buildings gas service can provide it? Assuming it has gas service.

Also how many thousands would hard piping that kind of flow cost?

No one would use a natural gas temp generator for this type of thing.

John120/240

At 10 gpm I see how natural gas would make sense. Thank You

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
OK, if you are using a diesel that is taking 10 GPM (and it won't at the load the OP is talking about) how many cubic feet of gas per minute would it need and do you think the buildings gas service can provide it? Assuming it has gas service.

Also how many thousands would hard piping that kind of flow cost?

No one would use a natural gas temp generator for this type of thing.

Its pretty close to 10 gpm. A gallon is about 110,000 btu which is only a little more than a therm.

cost depends on how far you have to pipe it from a high pressure source. if you are near the meter, it might not cost much at all.

It is application driven. you might have to put in another pressure regulator. that could get messy.

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
At 10 gpm I see how natural gas would make sense. Thank You

10 GPM in diesel would be huge. The one megawatt units we rent can run about 100 - 120 gallons per hour if fully loaded.

Here is a 1 meg unit.

C-1-megawatt-trailer-set-up-onsite-large.jpg

But let's keep in mind the OP mentioned 100 kw as the load.

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
Its pretty close to 10 gpm. .

12 gallons/hour should be a good number.

Fill the DG tank (100G?), 4 drums and a 12V pump in the back of a pickup will do it.

just a thought: Outfits I work for like a containment under the generator/refueling area. 4x4 frame and poly coated geotextile.

Pay attention to the N-G bond in the generator. Probably want to make sure it is removed.

ice

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
12 gallons/hour should be a good number.

Fill the DG tank (100G?), 4 drums and a 12V pump in the back of a pickup will do it.

just a thought: Outfits I work for like a containment under the generator/refueling area. 4x4 frame and poly coated geotextile.

Pay attention to the N-G bond in the generator. Probably want to make sure it is removed.

ice

most places will require some kind of containment. at least most places I have seen it done.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
10 GPM in diesel would be huge. The one megawatt units we rent can run about 100 - 120 gallons per hour if fully loaded.

Here is a 1 meg unit.

C-1-megawatt-trailer-set-up-onsite-large.jpg

100 kW = 341,200 btu/hr

at 33% efficiency that is not far from 1,000,000 btu/hr

a gallon of diesel is about 110,000 btu

my back of the envelope calculations probably overstated the efficiency of the generator, but it is not real far off from 10 gph at full load.

I actually did mean gph and not gpm. not sure why i wrote gpm.

iwire

Staff member
GPH makes much more sense. :)

That issue aside, we do this type of thing many times a year.

1) EPA, not an issue for temp gensets (Assumes the rented genset complies with EPA requiments)

2) Containment, not an issue for temp gensets

3) Using a natural or bottled gas unit for temp. Never done it, never seen it and I don't know if I could rent one if I wanted.

iwire

Staff member

Yes what you propose is legal, we do it often. I would bring at least a 200 KW genset for your 100 amp load just so there is some headroom for starting motors etc,

I am sorry I can't say much about costs, I just call our office and have them handle the rental of whatever size we need.

Here is a 1 meg we did at 1AM in a stone quarry so that paving work on an interstate highway project could contiue.

f127040d.jpg

Here are a couple from a scheduled shutdown at a hospital, we used three units, I can't recall why.

201ce25b.jpg

4c39e387.jpg

Another 1AM job during a storm

FridayNight2.jpg

Now2.jpg

This is the tie in, this service did not have a single main to open so we had to open the cutouts, lift the service conductors, isolate them and tie in at that location. This means having the power company come out after power is restored to kill it again so we can put the service conductors back.

Picture009.jpg

iwire

Staff member
Another at a water pumping station

2meg1.jpg

This ones below we were working for a utility feeding some sort of building for them during an outage

Gen2.jpg

In this case we could go right into a power company vault for the tie in.

Trans1.jpg

Trans2.jpg

growler

I would bring at least a 200 K

I am sorry I can't say much about costs, I just call our office and have them handle the rental of whatever size we need.

I don't know what the rental cost would be either but for a one day rental on a piece of expensive equipment they normally really jack up the price so I'm thinking a lot more than $500 to rent a big enough unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.