voltage drop and parking lot lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Thanks again for all the responses.

Just an update .....

Against my strongest recommendations, they went ahead with the wiring as is (#12 all the way) and had the local power company stand up the poles. Upon testing them tonight, none of the four lights will burn. Now, they are back to me asking why.

I would check for voltage at the 4 nonworking lights and show them the voltage and explain again why you recommended against this installation.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
But typically if the lamps aren't lit, even dimly, there is no current flow... thus no voltage drop.

May not be enough voltage to even strike an arc, but I would think even ballast waste load would not cause enough voltage drop to prevent an arc, or it may be so small that it cannot be seen in daylight.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Remember when checking for voltage at the load you need to make sure the fixture are connected. If the fixture are disconnected you may read somewhere near 120V.

squidbilly

The power company reversed the earlier information they told me. The lights were wired for 120V and NOT 208V as they originally told me. So, I made the appropriate changes at the panel ...... back to the way it was originally. Still no lights. A few church members and the contact at the power were trying to blame the problem on me despite me confirming 120V at the base of the poles. The power company finally sent a bucket truck out sometime today and the lights came on tonight. I still haven't heard what the problem was, but it was definitely on their end.

Also, as a side note, when I was working at the panel yesterday, I had an arrogant church member stop by and sarcastically ask me if I was aware that using non-black conductors as "hot wires" was in violation of the NEC. I just grinned, didn't answer, and went on about by business. Thank you God for helping me keep my mouth shut at times like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.