#10 stranded wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I have a contractor asking me for an exception to a specification requirement that says #10 and larger shall be solid. They want to use stranded #10 for a specific application. I have no basic objection, but I would like a sanity check on their reason for the request. They stated, "10AWG can be pulled through RMC only on a straight line. We require 10AWG for the Water Heater line with multiple 90 degree bends in the RMC conduit."

Does anyone have an opinion on the statement that "10AWG can be pulled through RMC only on a straight line"?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
We use #10 solid regularly, it is specked on 95% of our jobs and we never have problems pulling it in any type of conduit run

Roger

peter d

#10 solid is fine when it's pulled point to point and being terminated at each point. Pulling it in and out of boxes and LB's is no fun at all. :happyno:

Steviechia2

We use #10 solid regularly, it is specked on 95% of our jobs and we never have problems pulling it in any type of conduit run

Roger

What is the reason solid wire is specked on your jobs?
I have heard of this in bio tech buildings requiring solid so that the bacteria, germs, ect. will not follow up in between the strands

iwire

Staff member
My personal opinion is that solid is much better in wet locations. In dry locations the only advantage to me is ease of termination.

peter d

I am just so used to working with solid MC in 10 AWG I don't find 10 THHN hard to work with.

Unless it is in walker duct, then it is awful. :rant:

Yes, I know what you're saying. I wasn't thinking of MC cable so much as a 3/4" or 1" EMT/PVC with 6, 7 or 8 solid #10s in it, pulling through multiple j-boxes. I guess we have to define our terms here. :lol: Remember the fabric store and all those j-boxes and #10? ;)

iwire

Staff member
Yes, I know what you're saying. I wasn't thinking of MC cable so much as a 3/4" or 1" EMT/PVC with 6, 7 or 8 solid #10s in it, pulling through multiple j-boxes. I guess we have to define our terms here. :lol: Remember the fabric store and all those j-boxes and #10? ;)

I am fine with it in pipe.

As far as that job if you recall I asked our Irish buddy to go easy on the 150 offsets he made between boxes. :(

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Thanks everyone. One more followup question: Where in the NEC is the 360 degree limit on bends between pull points located? I just paged through 300 and 310 and could not find it.:happysad:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Thanks everyone. One more followup question: Where in the NEC is the 360 degree limit on bends between pull points located? I just paged through 300 and 310 and could not find it.:happysad:

Charlie, look at any of the conduit or tubing article 3xx.26 sections

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.