Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

triplex15

When installing a 20KW generator on a residential 400amp service using a 200amp rated transfer switch. We used the transfer switch outside to protect one of the panels by the generator. The inspector is saying now I need to add a 200amp disconnect outside for the other electrical panel so the disconnects are grouped. Is this correct or is there a code article I can reference that states an exception for a generator disconnect not being required to be grouped together? Any help would be appreciated.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
If your indicating that originally the 400a Meter was on the outside and fed inside to 2 Main breaker panels directly behind the meter, and you installed a Transfer switch to feed only 1 of the panels inside, then I would say the inspector is right.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I dont have my new code book with me but in my old one its at 230.72

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Not sure if one of the exceptions will cut you any slack or not,,,,, got to go.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
I don't think 225 would apply since you're dealing with Services.

It sounds like you have two sets of service entrance conductors from one service drop or lateral. This is permitted by 230.40 Ex. No. 2, where the disconnects for each set of service entrance conductors are grouped at one location.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
As others have said, I think the inspector is correct, based on what I am reading in your description. In addition, is the transfer switch service rated as required for this application?

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I may be wrong but 230.72b deals with "Additional" Service disconnects.
I would say if your transfer switch did not switch the Neutral then the Generator could not be considered a Seperately Derived System and would not be considered a seperate service. Therefore your back to dealing with one service where all of the disconnects are to be grouped in one location, but like I said, don't quote me on this, I may be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.