overhead service for a trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jph320

Occupation
Electrician
I got a perminatley fixed trailer that needs overhead service. Can i mount a 4x4 wood post to the side and run my SE cable down it then over to the meter socket?

growler

I got a perminatley fixed trailer that needs overhead service. Can i mount a 4x4 wood post to the side and run my SE cable down it then over to the meter socket?

I have had to deal with this sort of thing before and just saying that it's a "perminatley fixed trailer" is not enough information.

If this is a perminatley fixed double wide mobile home on a private lot with wood siding then you may be able to mount the meter socket and mast right right to the home.

In this area every jurisdiction has their own rules when it comes to dealing with mobile home type structures.

What you need to do is contact both the inspection dept ( AHJ ) and the power company and see what they expect and what will be permitted.

renosteinke

In general, I would say "no." A trailer, however it's anchored or added on to .... even a 'manufactured home' ... gets a pedestal, with a disconnect and a feed to the structure.

It's been awhile since I posted any pics, but I thought you might get some ideas from the well-worn service to this permanent trailer:

leaningpole.jpg

WHat's aparrent - apart from the rotted, falling-over post - is that the trailer has had a room added to it, coming out towards the pole. Indeed, they came out so far that the PoCo had to put an adapter on the meter:

Skopeserviceeqt.jpg

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I guess that meter got tired of looking at a blank wall all day.

JDB3

Before electronic metering, a couple of years ago (San Antonio, Texas), I had a 90 degree meter on my house, so that it could be read without dogs bothering meter reader.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Check 550.2 to see if you have a "mobile home" or "manufactured home", then 550.32 as to how the service equipment should be handled.

Status
Not open for further replies.