Re-using SEC furnace circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

fisherelectric

Conversion of an electric furnace to gas furnace. HVAC contractor spliced #12 romex to existing #6 SEC AL on either end to feed new furnace. He used appropriate split-bolts, taped one wire of the SEC white for the neutral and hooked it up to a 20 amp breaker. Is this compliant?

GerryB

Conversion of an electric furnace to gas furnace. HVAC contractor spliced #12 romex to existing #6 SEC AL on either end to feed new furnace. He used appropriate split-bolts, taped one wire of the SEC white for the neutral and hooked it up to a 20 amp breaker. Is this compliant?

I don't know about compliant but from what I understand the plumber or HVAC gut is only allowed to use the existing wireing at the new furnace to reconnect and is not allowed to enter the circuit breaker box, which the way you are describing it sounds like he did.

peter d

I don't know about compliant but from what I understand the plumber or HVAC gut is only allowed to use the existing wireing at the new furnace to reconnect and is not allowed to enter the circuit breaker box, which the way you are describing it sounds like he did.

It would depend on state licensing laws. I see you're in Connecticut and I'm not aware of any licensing loophole that would allow a non-electrician in CT to do electrical work. I hold a CT E-1 license. In RI, an oil burner license allows the license holder to do electrical work on the boiler itself but he can't run a branch circuit to a panel, install a remote switch, etc.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
If the Splice was in a box I dont see anything wrong with it either,other than being Ugly.
Before going through all of this, I would have probably just turned the #6 SEC into a 120v Feeder to a 2 Cir Loadcenter and put the 20a 1p in it.

Cavie

If the Splice was in a box I dont see anything wrong with it either,other than being Ugly.
Before going through all of this, I would have probably just turned the #6 SEC into a 120v Feeder to a 2 Cir Loadcenter and put the 20a 1p in it.

give that man a cigar!! No problem with alm to copper connections, no overheating of joints AND a spare ckt to boot!

fisherelectric

Thanks for the replies. This HVAC contractor is licensed to do electrical work. He got rejected for doing what he did and asked me about it. New inspector in town. He's going to call his supervisor and just wanted to get his ducks in a row before making the call.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
In the end, the HVAC/Electrical Contractor is going to have to present his own code interpretation that proves his install is ok,

Or the Inspector will have to present his code interpretations or local requirements of why he thinks its not ok.

That's between the two of them, not us.

GerryB

It would depend on state licensing laws. I see you're in Connecticut and I'm not aware of any licensing loophole that would allow a non-electrician in CT to do electrical work. I hold a CT E-1 license. In RI, an oil burner license allows the license holder to do electrical work on the boiler itself but he can't run a branch circuit to a panel, install a remote switch, etc.

Yes that is what I am saying

Status
Not open for further replies.