multiple separately derived services

Status
Not open for further replies.

malachi constant

If I read NEC 2011 250.30(A)(6) correctly, a common GEC for multiple separately derived systems shall be permitted, but is not required. Is this correct?

The application is I have two existing services on opposite ends of a building. We are replacing the north service. Evidently these two services, years ago, were fed from some MV gear in the north electrical room. Both have long since been refed from exterior utility transformers on their respective sides of the building. I bring this up because there is a pit in the north electrical room that leads to a tunnel that used to connect the north and south electrical rooms. From the pit extends a bare copper wire which is connected to a wall-mounted ground bar. I would like to infill this pit with concrete and am wondering if I need to protect & keep that copper wire, or if I can sever it.

And the related question is, even if code allows me to sever it, from an engineering standpoint is that preferred? Or is it inherently safer to keep the north and south services bonded together?

Thanks!!

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
You are quoting 250.30 which relates to Separately Derived Systems but you appear to have two utility supplied services.
250.50 requires all grounding electrodes for your services be connected.
Do you happen to have effectively grounded building steel ?

malachi constant

I'll tell the contractor to protect the existing ground wire and bond to GECs as determined by inspector. I don't mind putting a couple hundred dollars of coordination & ambiguity into a project this size. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.