What is the different between the NEC handbook and codebook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

notmyspace

I used handbook as reference but the codebook seems to be cheaper, thinking about getting a copy for myself. We have pdf version of the handbook

97catintenn

I think that's best to just have the handbook on .pdf and the codebook in paper. After a while, when you pretty much know what you are looking for in the code, but the handbook itself has so much blah blah blah in it, that you can't find the section you need as fast.

What is the difference? The codebook is all code. The handbook is all code with commentary and pics in almost every section. Which makes it hard to scan through for the actual code you need. I don't really know why there is a handbook for the NEC as none of the other code books (IBC, IRC, etc..) have them.

I have a handbook...from NEC05 and have no desire to update it.

480sparky

The codebook is what AHJs adopt for enforcement... thus making it a legal document. This legal document must be enforceable, and stand up to scrutiny in court.

The Handbook contains the same text, but also includes 'plain English' explanations as well as many illustrations to clarify the legalese of the NEC. The Handbook's commentary is technically an interpretation of the NEC and has no legal force.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Really depends on what purpose it is to serve. 90% of the time I can use the basic Code book to check for the actual requirements (ampacity, motor current, support requirements, allowable use, etc), but if you need more details the Handbook is more useful, plus the Handbook has illustrations which are often helpful.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
The handbook and the code book have the same code material, but I have been using the handbook since 1999 and love it. It has pictures & commentary, that at least for me, makes it a bit more easier to understand, remember where code section were...

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
The handbook and the code book have the same code material, but I have been using the handbook since 1999 and love it. It has pictures & commentary, that at least for me, makes it a bit more easier to understand, remember where code section were...

Gets us everytime!:D

guschash

I use the handbook all the time. I put those little tabs in my workbook and it helps in finding the atricle I need. I also have the code book which I got for free for being a member of IAEI.

mivey

I just buy the handbook anymore since it has both the code and the handy reference material.

The codebook is what AHJs adopt for enforcement... thus making it a legal document. This legal document must be enforceable, and stand up to scrutiny in court.

The Handbook contains the same text, but also includes 'plain English' explanations as well as many illustrations to clarify the legalese of the NEC. The Handbook's commentary is technically an interpretation of the NEC and has no legal force.

The interpretations and explanations CAN be used in court and have the same value as an expert wittness. Either the jury is swayed by the explanation or not.

Last edited:

ASG

Occupation
Electrical Engineer, PE
I remember seeing many illustrations but I can't think of where there are pictures.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I remember seeing many illustrations but I can't think of where there are pictures.
There are actually a good number of pictures/photos in the NECH, for example, in the 2008 NECH see exhibits 250.16, 250.37, 250.38, 250.39, 250.48, 285.1, 285.2 and there are many more.

Roger

480sparky

Handbook has plenty of 'em

handbookpix2.jpg

david

I don't really know why there is a handbook for the NEC as none of the other code books (IBC, IRC, etc..) have them.

Actually they do I am holding in my hand right now the International residential code for one and two family dwellings code and commentary volume 1.
Volume 2 is on he shelf and we also have International building code commentary volume one and two, NFPA 101 life safty code handbook. NFPA 99 commentary is in my car.

Status
Not open for further replies.