shower lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidtite

ive only been in industrial /commercial settings for about 8 mounths so im still getting used to the differnce between resi and commrcial codes .Im working in a hospital were the specs stated that they want the shower lights to be gfi protected .I dont remember doing this in residential or some comercial jobs so is this just a specific spec for hospitals or is it preety norm for commercial settings to have shower lights gfi protected

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Typically not required but will add extra measure of safety. Simply a design issue.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
On occasion, I will encounter shower lights or shower fan-lights where the manufacturer requires GFCI protection. Immaterial if the plans call for it, but out of curiosity you might check the lighting schedule/manufacture details.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
On occasion, I will encounter shower lights or shower fan-lights where the manufacturer requires GFCI protection. Immaterial if the plans call for it, but out of curiosity you might check the lighting schedule/manufacture details.

I have never run across a fan or fan/light that the manufacture did not require GFCI protection. On the other hand I have never run across a recessed light that the manufacture required protection.

I have never run across a fan or fan/light that the manufacture did not require GFCI protection. On the other hand I have never run across a recessed light that the manufacture required protection.

Most of the shower lights Ive seen require gfci protection when installed directly in a shower even if they are plastic. He also might want to check local amendments to the NEC, I know my area has a local code that requires it if any metal is exposed even if there are no manufacturer instructions that specify it. Here's a link to one manufacturer that requires it in their instructions.

http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/1015878_4.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.