Teck90 Without Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoon

If you remove the outer jacket and spiral armor from a Teck90 cable, and are left with the the inner conductors which are still covered with a PVC layer, is it legal to run the conductors the same way as you would an NM-90 cable?

I ask this because I have some left over 3C #8, and I intend to install a range receptacle about 15' away from the service panel. I was wondering if it was permissable to strip the armor and run the cable the same way as Romex.

My only thoughts why this might not be permitted are:
-Temperature rating for the cable was applied to the whole cable with armor, not just the inner jacket by itself.
-Temperature rating is not imprinted on inner layer of cable.

kwired

Electron manager
What is Tek90 cable?

Let me ask this. If you remove the armor do you have a listed cable left over? If so what kind of cable is it? If it were NM cable then it should have proper marking at proper intervals for NM cable. Same for other cable types.

Lectricbota

What is Tek90 cable?Let me ask this. If you remove the armor do you have a listed cable left over? If so what kind of cable is it? If it were NM cable then it should have proper marking at proper intervals for NM cable. Same for other cable types.
I think he is referring to cable most often used in hazardous location. IMO no AHJ would let you get away with that as what you now have is not listed.

shoon

Teck90 is similar to liquid tight / flex, except it has the conductors inside of it already.

teck90.jpg
http://www.electrocables.com/page76.htm

The inner Jacket is rated (see link) however it is not marked on the cable.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Inner Jacket:[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Black PVC as per CSA Standard C22.2 No. 0.3, 90?C to -40?C temperature rating, FT4 flame retardant, low acid gas emitting (LAG)[/FONT]

kwired

Electron manager
So is it one of the methods listed in (c) or (d) in 501.10(A)(1)?

501.10 Wiring Methods.

Wiring methods shall comply with 501.10(A) or (B).

(A) Class I, Division 1.

(1) General. In Class I, Division 1 locations, the wiring methods in (a) through (d) shall be permitted.

(a)
spacer.gif
Threaded rigid metal conduit or threaded steel intermediate metal conduit.

Exception: Type PVC conduit and Type RTRC conduit shall be permitted where encased in a concrete envelope a minimum of 50 mm (2 in.) thick and provided with not less than 600 mm (24 in.) of cover measured from the top of the conduit to grade. The concrete encasement shall be permitted to be omitted where subject to the provisions of 514.8, Exception No. 2, and 515.8(A). Threaded rigid metal conduit or threaded steel intermediate metal conduit shall be used for the last 600 mm (24 in.) of the underground run to emergence or to the point of connection to the aboveground raceway. An equipment grounding conductor shall be included to provide for electrical continuity of the raceway system and for grounding of non?current-carrying metal parts.

(b)
spacer.gif
Type MI cable terminated with fittings listed for the location. Type MI cable shall be installed and supported in a manner to avoid tensile stress at the termination fittings.

(c)
spacer.gif
In industrial establishments with restricted public access, where the conditions of maintenance and supervision ensure that only qualified persons service the installation, Type MC-HL cable listed for use in Class I, Zone 1 or Division 1 locations, with a gas/vaportight continuous corrugated metallic sheath, an overall jacket of suitable polymeric material, and a separate equipment grounding conductor(s) in accordance with 250.122, and terminated with fittings listed for the application.

Type MC-HL cable shall be installed in accordance with the provisions of Article 330, Part II.

(d)
spacer.gif
In industrial establishments with restricted public access, where the conditions of maintenance and supervision ensure that only qualified persons service the installation, Type ITC-HL cable listed for use in Class I, Zone 1 or Division 1 locations, with a gas/vaportight continuous corrugated metallic sheath and an overall jacket of suitable polymeric material, and terminated with fittings listed for the application, and installed in accordance with the provisions of Article 727.

If you remove the outer jacket and spiral armor from a Teck90 cable, and are left with the the inner conductors which are still covered with a PVC layer, is it legal to run the conductors the same way as you would an NM-90 cable?

I ask this because I have some left over 3C #8, and I intend to install a range receptacle about 15' away from the service panel. I was wondering if it was permissable to strip the armor and run the cable the same way as Romex.

My only thoughts why this might not be permitted are:
-Temperature rating for the cable was applied to the whole cable with armor, not just the inner jacket by itself.
-Temperature rating is not imprinted on inner layer of cable.

Theoretically and technically, yes. TEK is not a recognized cable by the NEC - AFAIK - it is a CSA designation, but according to the NEC rules if you alter the construction, the listing would become invalid.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
TECK-90 is essentially Type MC with an interlocked armor and an internal nonmetallic sheath; it is definitely not MC-HL. However, the OP was not discussing a hazardous locations installation AND, more importantly, it would be under the Canadian Electrical Code (CEC) rather than the NEC.

The internal sheath may or may not qualify as equivalent to an NM sheath. Unlike ?common? NM the conductors are fully 90C rated.

Personally, I think TECK-90 is very good stuff, but there is no NEC compliant way to use it as described in the OP. You will need to consult with your (Canadian) AHJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.