Location of GFCI for Whilrpool Tub - Residential

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Please excuse my mistake, the box is installed IN the floor, cut into the plywood under the tub area itself
I still don't think that is a problem under a whirlpool tub. Is it still called a "floor" under the tub? It is still the same basic "subfloor" as the rest of the house - maybe, but it is not a finished or usable floor. Once the tub and/or surround is installed it becomes more of a dedicated space.

Add: you may even call it a mechanical chase.

kwired

Electron manager
Wow, that seems odd.

Seeing how little space some tubs give you to locate a receptacle, it may be necessary to install it flush in the floor just to gain a little space though. Otherwise I agree, it is just a waste of time to compared to using a surface mounted box.

Occupation
Inspector
Is this new construction or a remodel? :?
  • Duplex is fine
  • non-TR is not ........
Suggesting a damp cover, NO, not my intent, just looking for opinions on the space definition. I know a bathroom rates a wet/damp location rated receptacle. ... misc work requested by homeowner in various other sectons of the home

What code article addresses this?

Last edited by a moderator:

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I still don't think that is a problem under a whirlpool tub. Is it still called a "floor" under the tub? It is still the same basic "subfloor" as the rest of the house - maybe, but it is not a finished or usable floor. Once the tub and/or surround is installed it becomes more of a dedicated space.

Add: you may even call it a mechanical chase.

While I agree that an inspector would be justified in ignoring the violation as you suggest, the letter of the law technically calls for a listed floor box, IMO.

kwired

Electron manager
I'd certainly say the exception to 314.27(B) needs consideration.

(B) Floor Boxes. Boxes listed specifically for this application shall be used for receptacles located in the floor.

Exception: Where the authority having jurisdiction judges them free from likely exposure to physical damage, moisture, and dirt, boxes located in elevated floors of show windows and similar locations shall be permitted to be other than those listed for floor applications. Receptacles and covers shall be listed as an assembly for this type of location.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Even though there are listed floor boxes specific for floor installation but for the most part one can install a regular CARLON box in the floor but finish it with a floor rated cover plate and it would be a compliant installation.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Even though there are listed floor boxes specific for floor installation but for the most part one can install a regular CARLON box in the floor but finish it with a floor rated cover plate and it would be a compliant installation.
Carlon makes at least one (kit) that is pretty much exactly what you described.

kwired

Electron manager
Yes I know, but the box that comes with that kit is not a "floor box".
I know, guess I did not make that very clear.

Why? Is there a box/receptacle/cover plate assembly you're aware of that's listed for installation under a tub? :huh:
Under a tub is not exactly the same as in the floor. If there is no barrier protecting "under the tub" from foreign material outside the area, then maybe it is an extension of the floor of the room it is in. JMO. I don't think NEC is clear either way on this particular application, both installer and AHJ need to come to an agreement on this one. I have never installed a receptacle for a tub in the floor, but some tubs give you so little room it may deserve consideration in some cases.

iwire

Staff member
I'm okay with assumption that the floor keeps the tub on the same level as the bathroom it serves. What else would you call it? :D

:D

I am still trying to wrap my head around someone taking the time to cut a box in under the tub. That would be a PITA to do. Give me a 4" square box and a raised receptacle cover and I will be done in a couple of minutes. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.