Smurf tube wire pulling

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnettda

Is smurf tube any harder to pull wire through than Emt? Installing data jacks in a large residence and they want them piped back to the IT room. Was thinking of using smurf tube. Thought it would be a labor saver? Some runs may be long though 120ft? Will suck a string through to use as pull wire. Thanks

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
It's actually pretty easy to pull through if strapped properly. But if its loosely strapped it can be a major nightmare getting a fish tape pushed thru it.

hurk27

I have a fish tape end that has this large roller ball on the end made for FMC that works well with smurf, but I can't remember where I got it, most fish tapes will catch on the ribs, including fiber tapes, metal tape you can make a more swiping bend in the end of the tap, but if there is two 90?s close to each other but 90? rotated it can even still catch the ribs, larger sizes you can put a bad-mitten birdie on the end of the fish tape as long as it don't fall off, but you can't pull the fish tape back as it will pull it off and then it is stuck in the smurf.

Sucking or blowing a string is the best way for long runs or many bends, keep in mind you are still only allowed 360? of bends in a run, even with smurf.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
That looks like what I use to clean out my sewer line. Is it really electrical?

It is for sewer, ridgid makes it. Of course it is wider than a 1/8" fishtape and it will be harder to use on 1/2" EMT but maybe useful for larger conduits.

Will B

I would reccommend using a #12 or #10THHN wire to use as a pull wire instead of a string. It has been my experience that string "burns" though the smurf tube and ruins the tube or breaks the string. Just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.