Food Grade lighting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

titan1021

I am bidding a commercial kitchen project, for a local community center and the architect simply stated 2x4 food grade fluorescent lights.

The only information I have found thus far, is that the requirement for food grade lights comes from the Health Department here in CA.

The Health Department guidelines just state that the lights in food preparation areas must have the lamps covered or protected to prevent the possibility of glass from a breakage, from getting into the food or processing equipment.

I have found some lights that are vapor proof and completely sealed that are listed for food processing areas, but they are extremely costly and seem like total overkill for this small kitchen.

It seems like I would be able to install a standard surface mounted 2x4 fixture with a lens, and meet the requirement.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of installation?

Thanks

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I am bidding a commercial kitchen project, for a local community center and the architect simply stated 2x4 food grade fluorescent lights.

The only information I have found thus far, is that the requirement for food grade lights comes from the Health Department here in CA.

The Health Department guidelines just state that the lights in food preparation areas must have the lamps covered or protected to prevent the possibility of glass from a breakage, from getting into the food or processing equipment.

I have found some lights that are vapor proof and completely sealed that are listed for food processing areas, but they are extremely costly and seem like total overkill for this small kitchen.

It seems like I would be able to install a standard surface mounted 2x4 fixture with a lens, and meet the requirement.

Thanks
Use a fixture with prismatic lenses , And not parabolic..:thumbsup:

http://www.murraylighting.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TY-244-332-B11-UNV-3L-41K

Ragin Cajun

I usually specify gasketed troffers to help keep the grease fumes out of the fixture.

Also, lamps that are shatter proof - have a coating so that then the lamlp is broken, the glass stays inside the coating envelope. Health department typically requires this. Makes for expensive lamps.

RC

kwired

Electron manager

Thanks

The ones that are vapor proof and completely sealed are generally not necessary for a "kitchen" but health inspector wouldn't reject their use either. They are common in food processing plants where they get washed down frequently. Otherwise containment of a broken lamp is generally all they are after, it doesn't have to be vaportight to accomplish this. Open strip fixtures are sometimes used with either lamp tube guards or teflon coated shatter resistant lamps have become even more popular in recent years. The shatter resistant lamps are not cheap either, tube guards can be used over when lamps are replaced, but they do degrade with age also and still need replaced occasionally.

Status
Not open for further replies.